Dual Boot Help

omg its nlm

lvl 17 Hax
I am trying to dual boot xp and 2000 and 2 sperate hard drives and I can not get them to work. Here is my boot.ini config.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional " /fastdetect

I am getting an error, I am going to restart and write down the error.

Windows could not start
<windows root>\system32\hall.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Any suggestions?

Howd you do the installs of the OS's as if you had XP installed then added the second drive and installed 2000 on it boot.ini file should have been done correct. Only thing I might suggest and I don't know they have a free trail for it or not is Acronis OS Selector and see if it will let you boot both OS's

chastity said:
Howd you do the installs of the OS's as if you had XP installed then added the second drive and installed 2000 on it boot.ini file should have been done correct. Only thing I might suggest and I don't know they have a free trail for it or not is Acronis OS Selector and see if it will let you boot both OS's

Installed XP Than 2000 I will try Acronis OS Selector and see what that does.

Thanks

You have to install XP last or else 2000 overwrites the boot files with incompatible versions for XP. Boot to the XP CD and run the command FIXBOOT

what files does FIXBOOT replace? I had not setup an admin password so I can not get in that way. If I knew the files I could do it manualy.

Thanks

The files XP needs that 2k overwrites are NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM

hmm I did that and it did not work, I guess I will not dual boot. I give up.

Run Fixboot, if you have no admin password, just hit enter when prompted. For future reference, it is always easiest to install the older OS first, then the newest. If you install 2k, then XP, nothing needs to be done, the dual boot is setup automatically.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back