Dual Boot Help

I am trying to dual boot xp and 2000 and 2 sperate hard drives and I can not get them to work. Here is my boot.ini config.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional " /fastdetect

I am getting an error, I am going to restart and write down the error.

chastity

Staff member
Political User
Howd you do the installs of the OS's as if you had XP installed then added the second drive and installed 2000 on it boot.ini file should have been done correct. Only thing I might suggest and I don't know they have a free trail for it or not is Acronis OS Selector and see if it will let you boot both OS's

chastity said:
Howd you do the installs of the OS's as if you had XP installed then added the second drive and installed 2000 on it boot.ini file should have been done correct. Only thing I might suggest and I don't know they have a free trail for it or not is Acronis OS Selector and see if it will let you boot both OS's
Installed XP Than 2000 I will try Acronis OS Selector and see what that does.

Thanks

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
You have to install XP last or else 2000 overwrites the boot files with incompatible versions for XP. Boot to the XP CD and run the command FIXBOOT

what files does FIXBOOT replace? I had not setup an admin password so I can not get in that way. If I knew the files I could do it manualy.

Thanks

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
Run Fixboot, if you have no admin password, just hit enter when prompted. For future reference, it is always easiest to install the older OS first, then the newest. If you install 2k, then XP, nothing needs to be done, the dual boot is setup automatically.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut