dual boot 98SE & XP Pro

K

kevin gould

I have one hard drive which I can partion as required as I need to install both 98SE and XP Pro. I have a scanner which only works under 98, no xp support.

I beleive that 98 is installed first then XP so my theory is 3 partions, the third for my data. Any recommendations as to what dual or multi boot program to use. Everything I have seen on the net is for 9X/ME and does not mention or cover XP. Happy to use FAT 32 for both.

Thanks
Kevin Gould (UK)

you can use partition magic for the partitioning part. You dont need a bootmanager cause xp has one... So just partition youre hdd in3 partitoins install 98 and then xp on the second partition then your programs on the third, Install the programms under xp and 98 but on the saem spot, so that you can access youre programs under both windows

Indeed, for XP to create a dual boot, win98 must be installed on the first (active) partition, XP will then see win98. Chose the D: partition to install XP.
Keep in mind to format XP partition in Fat32 just in case you want to access XP files under Win98; otherwise, format in Ntfs.

If its only the scanner that doesn't work in XP, I'd suggest buying a new scanner, let's face you gonna have to buy a new one eventually and they are pretty cheap now

Always remember that you can only access those programs on the third partition that refer to WIn 98 when in that system partition etc and the same for XP.
You will have 2 folders for C\Windows. One active partition will be hidden from the other on boot up.

dual boot

Many thanks to the replies, will give it ago.

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back