DSL{USB Install}

Techno Child

web{designer}
Hey guys,

I was just looking over the previous linux thread (DSL was a suggestion for a laptop install) and I never heard of this program before...

I got interested and read about it and visited their site, and they mentioned that you could install it to a usb drive.

Would you basically just install it, and select the usb drive as the install directory?

Anyone ever try this?

-tc

EDIT: btw.. i'm not talking about internet :D it's Damn Small Linux

yeah, thanks speedy, just found that lol :D

this is the coolest program there is... It would be pretty neat if it could boot from macs and pcs...

Anyone use this yet? it has a built in webserver as well...

-tc

Cool Information. May have to give it a try.

You should (read: might) be able to boot it on the new Intel macs. :)

Yeah... but I don't have an intel yet :(

This may be a really newbie question. But, why won't linux let you just save a file and when you reboot it's actually still saved? I realize that if you save a file to the ramdisk, it's only retained in that specific comp's ram. But when I go to save it in a specific directory (such as /KNOPPIX/) then it's not there after reboot...

Also if I put files into the "/KNOPPIX/" directory on another os, I cannot access it from linux.

When I installed another distro to hard drive, I never had this issue...

-tc

I've not used DSL for a while, however I imagine you'd need to save your files to a mounted disk. As all directories upon boot are (supposed) to be ram disks, i.e. destroyed at power down.

If you can mount the usb stick, you'll have somewhere to save files.

yeah.. that's what I was thinking, but if I have the usb stick running the os... shouldn't the folder /KNOPPIX be mounted WITH the stick? I have /hda1 and /hda2 mounted as well as /sva1 which would be the thumbdrive... (cd's not mounting for some reason :( ) but then if I access /sva1/KNOPPIX ..

oh, I understand now... there must be another virtual folder called /KNOPPIX created upon startup... otherwise it should be under/sva1/KNOPPIX not just /KNOPPIX correct?

It would be so cool to set this thing up with google earth...

*needs bigger jumpdrive*

I don't see why it wouldn't work, DSL is based on debian and uses the Debian kernel, but which one?

Anyone get a chance to play with it yet?

Well here's the minimum requirements for Google Earth under Linux:

Kernel: 2.4 or later
glibc: 2.3.2 w/ NPTL or later
XFree86-4.0 or x.org R6.7 or later
CPU: Pentium 3, 500Mhz
System Memory (RAM): 128MB
Hard Disk: 400MB free space
Network Speed: 128 Kbits/sec
Screen: 1024x768, 16 bit color

I think it falls short on glibc ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back