DSL Problems

pc1967

OSNN Newbie
I have Verizon DSL service. I want to add a router for another computer. I followed the steps to setup, it didn't work. But it works if I don't use router. It always said " no connection". My router is LinkSYS BEFSR41. Anyone can get me some ideas to make it work. My computer's network connections is set to local area connection, and TCP/IP set to Auto. Anyone has some idea for me. Thanks

If its anything like my DSL you have to plug the crossover cable that comes out of the DSL box into the UPLINK port on the router. Then connect the other PC's to the router using regular patch cables. After all of that you need to open up your browers (hopefully Firefox) and go to 192.168.1.1 and setup your connection. If you have a static IP you need to enter your static ip info, dns settings and all that jazz into the router settings, if you don't have static you can just set it to automatically grab an IP using DHCP.

Hope this helps, I'm doing it from memory since I'm not home right now so I'm kinda guessing on some of the steps.

this post is somewhat open in the information, if you can make it more specific then we can give more specific help.

That was easy to say - now the hard part, I will try to see if I can steer you down that "route" ;) (pun intended :) )...

Are you using dedicated IP or dynamic?

Is wifi involved here? Or all CAT5?

When you say DSL box you mean you have a separate modem, right? is it a USB one? Make/model? (Here if you had not already made purchase of hardware I would have recommended you went for router/modem in one box - even have one I could offer to you over at the trading post if ya wanted to change tack!)

That should be enough to get the ball rolling and show you what I meant - post back soon and watch the gang rally round to get you networked online....

[EDIT] PS welcome to OSNN by the way, do nto worry about how "open" your first post was, nearly everyone does that the first time, and some do it for a long time after too! Noticing you are new around here let me point to the "search" button for the forums, which will often turn up many helpful threads from others with similar problems! Try it now, you may even find a thread I resurrected recently for my DSL problem that needed an MTU change ;) [/EDIT]

BouncingSoul said:
If its anything like my DSL you have to plug the crossover cable that comes out of the DSL box into the UPLINK port on the router. Then connect the other PC's to the router using regular patch cables. After all of that you need to open up your browers (hopefully Firefox) and go to 192.168.1.1 and setup your connection. If you have a static IP you need to enter your static ip info, dns settings and all that jazz into the router settings, if you don't have static you can just set it to automatically grab an IP using DHCP.

Hope this helps, I'm doing it from memory since I'm not home right now so I'm kinda guessing on some of the steps.

A) Using a Crossover in an uplink port defeats the purpose and makes the cable a normal straight-thru.
B) Using the uplink port doesn't make use of the router properly, meaning that you are basically using the router as a switch. You need to use the WAN (or sometimes labelled Internet) port for the MODEM connection.

Some MODEMs MAY link to a specific MAC Address and should be unplugged for an hour to clear the MAC association. Although I've never had any problem with my DSL MODEM.

Usually all that needs to be done is to connect the modem to the WAN(aka Internet) port, plug a computer into one of the other ports (1-4) and the DHCP server in the router should have it a IP.

If not enter a static one, something like: 192.168.1.100 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 and the gateway: 192.168.1.1 (IP of router).

Then enter the setup of the router through your browser (http://192.168.1.1) the default login is username is blank and the password is admin.

On the main page you should see a Drop Down menu for connection type. Select PPPoE and enter your login credentials. (That is if your ISP uses PPPoE, mine does so Im not sure how to go any other way). Click Apply and check the status page to see if you will get a WAN IP.

Admiral Michael said:
A) Using a Crossover in an uplink port defeats the purpose and makes the cable a normal straight-thru.
B) Using the uplink port doesn't make use of the router properly, meaning that you are basically using the router as a switch. You need to use the WAN (or sometimes labelled Internet) port for the MODEM connection.

You're the one who told me how to hook mine up. I guess I should have read that post again before I tried to repeat it from memory. MY BAD! :laugh: :laugh:

Admiral Michael said:
.. and the DHCP server in the router should have it a IP.....

ah yes - meant to ask you - are you using DHCP? It can be your friend here ;) If not you just have to do the job it does - hope you understand!

Good post admiral - I shall rep you incase he does not (also because mine is a bit "handier" hehe ;) )

BouncingSoul said:
You're the one who told me how to hook mine up. I guess I should have read that post again before I tried to repeat it from memory. MY BAD! :laugh: :laugh:

I wouldn't have suggested that so you could be mistaken.

-----------------------------------

small correction to my original post and what was quoted above:

.. and the DHCP server in the router should HAND it a IP.....

BouncingSoul said:

I used this way to setup now. I knew that isn't the good way to do it. I will try again in another day. Thank you very much.

ack! Looks like pc1967 has ignored all the good and wholesome advice and questions :dead: !!!

Ah well - over to you Bouncing - seems he wants to go your way and I feel sure you can get him on the right "route" ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back