DSL need ISP?

_DM_

OSNN Senior Addict
Does DSL need, like a ISP to access the internet, or does DSL have internet access itself? Like for example Earthlink? AOL?

dsl is an internet connection from whoever you buy the service from. whether its verizon or whatnot, dsl will be your connection. the company you buy it from is your isp.

Here's a better explanation:

DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line. This is the physical medium used to connect your home to your telephone company. Think of DSL as a telephone line (literally). The telephone line connects your home to your telephone company.

With any line, you must pay for the service on the other end. Like the telephone, your line connects to the telephone company, but you can use (at least in most cities) whichever telephone company you wish, whether it be Verizon, SBC (or affiliate), or whoever.

The same holds true for DSL. Since DSL is a telephone line, you must pay for a provider. Some of the most common providers are local telephone companies. They tend to be cheaper in most areas.

So, if you wanted DSL access, you must first get a DSL provider (just as you do with dialup). I would recommend you try your local phone company first.

wait wait, leme get this straight. I order DSL from SBC, and do I need like Earthlink or AOL to connect to the internet? Or when I get DSL does it connect me straight to the internet without using EarthLink or AOL? Like 56k modem you need Earthlink or AOL to connect, what about DSL Modem?

Ok, if you ordered DSL from SBC, you are ordering DSL services. SBC will provide you with internet access (they will be your ISP) via DSL. You will not need any third party providers such as AOL or Earthlink since SBC will be your provider.

Wait hang on...Damn i need 200 $ to get technicians to install DSL here but i dont have lol. I gota install it myself! Ok I got an Ethernet in the back of my computer, so i get the dsl modem plug it in the ethernet, then what? Do I need to drill holes, or miss around with the telephon thingy outside my house?

oh ok then i'll cancel earthlink then thnxs for tip reg

Originally posted by _DM_
Wait hang on...Damn i need 200 $ to get technicians to install DSL here but i dont have lol. I gota install it myself! Ok I got an Ethernet in the back of my computer, so i get the dsl modem plug it in the ethernet, then what? Do I need to drill holes, or miss around with the telephon thingy outside my house?

No no... Installing DSL is very very easy. DSL uses your existing telephone lines. See, you telephone lines are broken into two parts. Inside your line are 4 wires. The inner wires are for telephone service, the outer wires are DSL service. To install DSL, you would simply get a DSL modem, hook the ethernet port to your ethernet port on your computer, then put the DSL cord into the modem and plug it into your phone jack. Each phone in your home will need a POTS adapter. They can be bought at any electronic store for about $3-4 a piece. You simply plug the cord going from your phone into the POTS adapter, then you plug the other end of the adapter into a phone jack.

If I were installing DSL, I would replace my existing telephone cords from my phone with newer voice cords. These cords only have two wires instead of the 4. This would eliminate the need for POTS adapters. But that's just me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back