DSL Help

P

pc_tek

I just got earthlink DSL. It was awesome at first recieving killer d/l speeds. After awhile.. it is fast a heck one minute then dead the next... what the hell? Any ideas to even this out?

Thanks!

PC-Tek!

Try this, it made a difference to my DSL here in the Philippines, but then again we dont get killer D/L speeds anyway.
----------- ----------------

Speed up your browsing of Windows 2000 & XP machines.
(This one works well, you can see the difference)

Here's a great tip to speed up your browsing of Windows 2000 & XP machines. Its actually a fix to a bug installed as default in Windows 2000 that scans shared files for Scheduled Tasks.
And it turns out that you can experience a delay as long as 30 seconds when you try to view shared files across a network because Windows 2000 is using the extra time to search the remote computer for any Scheduled Tasks.
Note that though the fix is originally intended for only those affected, Windows 2000 users will experience that the actual browsing speed of both the Internet & Windows Explorers improve significantly after applying it since it doesn't search for Scheduled Tasks anymore. Here's how :

Open up the Registry and go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/
CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

Under that branch, select the key :
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} and delete it.

This is key that instructs Windows to search for Scheduled Tasks. If you like you may want to export the exact branch so that you can restore the key if necessary.

This fix is so effective that it doesn't require a reboot and you can almost immediately determine yourself how much it speeds up your browsing processes.

Hope it helps you..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I say, is there really a need for speed????

If it was fast before, then still fast and dies, thats a problem with your provider man...now if it was enver fast that would be a XP problem and you can goto dslreports.com to get some speed tweaks and such, but it most likely will not help the dying

here are all the tcp/ip tweaks and ie tweakes i know of i have swbell dsl and this is what i have done to my registry

start copy here****************************

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD\Parameters]

"TransmitWorker"=dword:00000010
"PriorityBoost"=dword:0000000a
"DefaultReceiveWindow"=dword:0003ebc0
"DefaultSendWindow"=dword:0003ebc0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]

"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

"DeadGWDetectDefault"=dword:00000001
"DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault"=dword:00000000
"ArpRetryCount"=dword:00000001
"DefaultTTL"=dword:00000040
"TcpMaxDupAcks"=dword:00000003
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000000
"KeepAliveTime"=dword:000493e0
"EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000001
"EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000000
"Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000001
"SackOpts"=dword:00000001
"TcpWindowSize"=dword:0003ebc0

then we enable more open connections for IE

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000014
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000014

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000014
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000014

end copy here****************************************

copy that to notpad save as xptweak.reg double click on it to add to your reg and reboot machine for tweaks to take

also www.dslreports.com is a good site for testing your dsl speed

man its been a bumpy morning. First thing this morning I verified the problem still existed. It did, So i persued to make an image of my XP in its existing state so I could come back to it for troubleshooting.

-- I made my image (2 disks) with Ghost

-- I put an old image of WIN ME on it, but it woouldnt recognize my ethernet card and couldnt get it to install... i thought wierd, but ok, because the box said win95/98 NT/2000. I know some companies didnt support ME, but i would of thought this still should work. ethernet card is netgear FA311. In fact I told my wife they may have mislabeled an ethernet card because Win XP called it a FA312. (more to follow on my instincts)

-- So i proceeded to put an old image of 98 on it.. same problem with ethernet card... errrrrrr....

-- So now i put an image of XP i made a few weeks back playing around, and its was connecting fine. I downloaded 5 files concurrently all equalling an estimated 80kb a sec d/l speed.

-- this is when I go to netgear to see about getig new drivers for 98 when I read a story that they had put the incorrect ID in the chip for that model ethernet cards...LOL just my luck! But all works well.

-- So then I thought i might have gotten a software error in my XP last night fooling around, so now i put on my original XP from this morning to now hopefully troubleshoot it. And guess what... it is working fine. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

I am curious though, would it be possible for the modem to download more than it could handle causing the disconnects? I say this because last night, i would be getting some killer speeds of 165kb a sec download, then it would just stop and time-out! Not disconnect, but yet unrecoverable. I went to dsl reports last night and got a speed test done, i was 25 times faster than a 56k modem at 1.2mb sec. WOW. Great but it wouldnt hold it.

This morning I ran a speed test and I am only 8 times faster, but it is consistant. Wierd! I guess i will see what happens tonight when bandwidth starts getting used up!

Now that I feel like i should be an author because I write so much, i will get going. Thanks to all for the tweaks, I will definately take a looky at those.

Lates!

PC-TEK!

Nah, a DSL modem can handle more then DSL can throw at it, so thats most likely not the cause since there is always a burst when downloads first start, if the problem persists you might consider calling your provider and having them look at it, my friend has had to do that many a time with DSL, thats the only time i'm jealous...DSL techs usually know what they are doing...if my cable modem has a problem I just wait a few days, if it doesn't go away...well they usually tell me to wait some more heheh

Originally posted by Qumahlin
time i'm jealous...DSL techs usually know what they are doing...if my cable modem has a problem I just wait a few days, if it doesn't go away...well they usually tell me to wait some more heheh

I dont know about that....LOL not this idiot I talked to last night... tried to tell me it was stopping because most websites shutdown after midnight to save money! LOL, I just wanted to tell him that he wasnt dealing with the everday "joe blow" that calls to tech support.

More to follow... I supposed to talk to a senior tech today.

downloading good right now... just downloaded about 50 mb in 5 mins... NICE!

Originally posted by pc_tek

downloading good right now... just downloaded about 50 mb in 5 mins... NICE!

i hate you so much :D

I am almost happy now =)

I called earthlink this morning... they put my account on what they call "safemode" which is supposed to be a diagnostic monitoring for my line. The tech told me that when they do this the problems "mysteriously" go away.

hmmm...makes me wonder...

But anyways, no disconnects so far tonight<knock on wood>, by now i have ussually disconnected about 15 - 20 times. But I read somewhere to today also that a brick style (external) AC/DC
converter on some things can play hell on a modem, because they are notorious for RFI signals. I noticed the my boston acoustic which happened to be plugged into the same surge protector as my external dsl modem. I have since plugged the dsl modem into something by itself, and since have had no disconnects. Now wether this is because of the "safe mode" or the power supply I dont know.

I also noticed that since I changed the power supplyto a different plug, my wife's treadmill does not kill my connection like it did yesterday.

This has definately been a learning experience for me and hopefully me spreading my story can help someone else some day.

Out~~ PC-TEK!
:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back