Drivers will not allow DVD to play

ziptrx

OSNN Addict
Recently my daughter wanted to watch Sleeping Beauty. When I put the DVD in, jetaudio didn't want to play it, so I installed the crapping Interwhatever that was on the DVD. The DVD still didn't want to play. Since I needed to format, I went ahead and did that. After reinstalling XP Pro, before installing any video drivers, I tested the DVD on WMP9 and it played. Then I proceeded to install Omega 1.4523 (GF4 Ti4400) drivers. After doing so, WMP9 will not play any DVDs and the dialog said "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a problem occurred with copyright protection". Taking that error, I googled it, and found that my video drivers caused the problem. See here. Now I don't want to revert back to the XP default drivers, and I have no option in the display properties to turn off my video out (like others have suggested to others with the same problem). Has anyone else experienced this problem or have a solution that will work, without reverting to the default drivers?

I believe MS has a patch for issues with Disney DVD's.

windows update

I've installed all the updates that were listed, except ones for WiFi, OE, etc. Saw none for Disney movies. Interesting. I'll see what I can find on it. Thanks.

I've had the same problem with WMP9. After a format WMP will play DVDs for a while, then it quits. i know its a program or drivers i install that causes the problem, but i'm not to concerned about it. however, since i just got my computer 2 months ago and before i figured it was a driver/program issue i called HP tech support (so take that for what its worth) they told me that since the DVD drives for computers are not country/region coded that WMP wont play the DVD and it doesn't even have codec to play one. when WMP plays a DVD it is using the codec from another program installed that does have them. i don't know if its true or not, just conveying what i was told. i'm not goin' for that explaination though.

electrickpirate said:
I've had the same problem with WMP9. After a format WMP will play DVDs for a while, then it quits. i know its a program or drivers i install that causes the problem, but i'm not to concerned about it. however, since i just got my computer 2 months ago and before i figured it was a driver/program issue i called HP tech support (so take that for what its worth) they told me that since the DVD drives for computers are not country/region coded that WMP wont play the DVD and it doesn't even have codec to play one. when WMP plays a DVD it is using the codec from another program installed that does have them. i don't know if its true or not, just conveying what i was told. i'm not goin' for that explaination though.
Sounds like they just made up an excuse for you :p You can see your region code for your drive and even change it (4 or 5 times) by checking your drives properties. ;)

-edit- WARNING: don't just go and change your region back and forth as the LAST time it allows a change it is stuck there and then you have to hope that a "region free" piece of software can fix it for you. :)

I've argued with tech support people before, because what they tell me is blatantly wrong sometimes. :p

Melon

Errr. Damn DVD plays now, and I didn't do anything. Watch it not play again. :( Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep the around in case this happens again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back