Drivers for Soundblaster Live

Smoke286

Smokeater
Back in the same boat, installed Vista RC 1, but I can't remember how I was able to get my soundcard working after I installed Vista Beta 2. It says the drivers are working ok, but still no sound

Make sure your wave volume isnt turned down, you would not believe how many times I have ran into that as a problem

No thats not the problem, it has something to do with the driver, I solved it before woth Beta 2, but I can't remember how.

Use an archive utility to open the file and try to force windows to reinstall the driver for you using the INF file. I'm assuming you're using the beta drivers provided by Creative?

Which Beta Driver will work with my soundcard?

and while your at it, whats an archive utility?

Amazingly I figured out the archiver part, but that download site lists two drivers, and I'm unsure which one would be the proper one to use. I have Soundblaster Live 5.1

download and use the first one or just click on the download link in my thread.

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Value/SE/LS and Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit Vista Beta Driver 01.04.0055 (9.70 MB) 1 Sep 06 Download
dot-clear.gif
dot-clear.gif
dot-clear.gif

This download is a beta driver providing Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ 32-bit Beta 2 support for the audio devices listed below. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

download and use the first one or just click on the download link in my thread.

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Value/SE/LS and Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit Vista Beta Driver 01.04.0055 (9.70 MB) 1 Sep 06 Download
dot-clear.gif
dot-clear.gif
dot-clear.gif

This download is a beta driver providing Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ 32-bit Beta 2 support for the audio devices listed below. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

It's actually the second, but meh, you have a download link there anyway.

Also, I tried to see if there was an SB Live! 5.1 driver there, but it's only for that version of SB. It shouldn't matter too much - their main chips will be almost identical.

Use an archive utility to open the file and try to force windows to reinstall the driver for you using the INF file. I'm assuming you're using the beta drivers provided by Creative?

How do I force windows to reinstall the driver using the INF file?

I am presuming you are refering to CTljystk.inf?

Since this does not seem to be working out, can anyone suggest a relatively inexpensive sound card (not Creative since they seem incapable of getting their act together) that works trouble free with Vista

You can't really judge Creative and their soundcard when you really have a soundard they don't support anymore for an OS that only JUST left Beta stages and hasn't even hit gold yet.

Anyway, to force install of drivers, open your Device Manager (Right click on 'Computer' and go 'Manage' -> Device Manager), find the soundcard device (or unknown device if you haven't installed it yet) and right-click on that to go properties. You'll find the driver tab and be able to update the driver. I'm assuming you can follow the wizard from there on. =P

You can't really judge Creative and their soundcard when you really have a soundard they don't support anymore for an OS that only JUST left Beta stages and hasn't even hit gold yet.

Anyway, to force install of drivers, open your Device Manager (Right click on 'Computer' and go 'Manage' -> Device Manager), find the soundcard device (or unknown device if you haven't installed it yet) and right-click on that to go properties. You'll find the driver tab and be able to update the driver. I'm assuming you can follow the wizard from there on. =P

I have followed the wizard several times, it doesn't work. I have heard complaints on other forums regarding ALL of Creative's sound cards and Vista, They are less then prepared for this, not only that but the Soundblaster Live series has been one of the most popular soundcards out there They should still be supporting it.

Last edited:
I have followed the wizard several times, it doesn't work. I have heard complaints on other forums regarding ALL of Creative's sound cards and Vista, They are less then prepared for this, not only that but the Soundblaster Live series has been one of the most popular soundcards out there They should still be supporting it.

You might have more luck if you try to use one of the Vista Audigy drivers and install those, but I'm not 100% sure. The Live! card really isn't what Vista is targetting in terms of advanced sound cards, but yes, I agree - Creative should get their arses into gear and really put some effort into supporting existing customers rather than putting out new devices every 6 months and abandoning older cards. I, myself, have upgraded my drivers on my Audigy 1 to Audigy 4 drivers and utilities by using a hacked CD just because they older utilities and drivers are so bad. www.driverheaven.net might be a good place to ask questions about your issue as some of the users there are good at hacking drivers to make them work on older sound cards. Give it a whirl - go to forms, Audio... forum. I've had some good feedback from that site.

You might have more luck if you try to use one of the Vista Audigy drivers and install those, but I'm not 100% sure. The Live! card really isn't what Vista is targetting in terms of advanced sound cards, but yes, I agree - Creative should get their arses into gear and really put some effort into supporting existing customers rather than putting out new devices every 6 months and abandoning older cards. I, myself, have upgraded my drivers on my Audigy 1 to Audigy 4 drivers and utilities by using a hacked CD just because they older utilities and drivers are so bad. www.driverheaven.net might be a good place to ask questions about your issue as some of the users there are good at hacking drivers to make them work on older sound cards. Give it a whirl - go to forms, Audio... forum. I've had some good feedback from that site.

Thanks kop, I will check out that site

Problem now solved, I bought a new Soundblaster X-Fi card, for which the Vista Beta drivers work fine

Thanks to all for their suggestions

lol that's one way to fix your Live - get rid of it. ;-)

How's the X-Fi?

Well some of the software doesn't work with the Beta drivers, but the soundcard itself works well enough

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back