driver disabled the write cache on device DeviceHarddisk3DR3

J

jawshoouh

driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3

i've got 3 HDDs (primary master, primary slave, third on an additional IDE channel PCI card as 1st channel, master), 1 CD-RW (secondary master), 1 DVD-Rom (secondary slave), and 1 Zip250 IDE drive (on the additional IDE channel PCI card as 2nd channel, master). When i play DVDs, and sometimes when i'm just futzing around on my pc, but mainly when i'm playing DVDs, my computer crashes...just locks and dies. when i restart and check the Event Viewer, at the exact time my computer crashed, is this entry:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 34
Date: 8/10/2002
Time: 10:46:21 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SPILLEDMILK
Description: The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0f 00 04 00 01 00 62 00 ......b.
0008: 00 00 00 00 22 00 04 80 ...."..€
0010: 01 00 00 00 10 00 00 c0 .......À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 ....

now, i found at microsoft's support site that this seems to be a problem with Zip250s and WinXP. a few questions:

1) Is Harddisk3\DR3 my Zip250 or my DVD-Rom?
2) If it's my Zip250, is the only way to fix this to remove it from my pc? i checked the Zip250's properties (at the Policies tab), and the item for Enabling/Disabling write caching is greyed out because it's not supported.
3) If DR3 is my DVD-Rom, how can i prevent this error from occurring? get a different DVD-Rom? Is there a setting in gpedit.msc (group policy manager) that i can turn off write-caching for the DVD-Rom, because i can't seem to find anyplace to turn it off in the DVD-Rom properties.

thanks in advance

The Zip should be recognized as a hardisk, therefore if you have 3 hardisks, and we start labeling them at 0, your zip will end up being Hardisk 3. Just do double check, goto your device manager, locate the zip drive, right click and goto properties... click on the volumes tab, then click populate. The top entry, disk... should be Disk 3. As far as a fix for the problem, i'm not sure at the moment... if i find something, i'll let you know.

my temporary fix solved the problem: i took the zip drive off my computer. and you were right, it was Drive 3.

thanks for the help so far :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back