Drive Image 2002

D

David Smith

I have two hard drives C and D. I have used DI 2002 to make a back up of drive C (where I keep my OS and other important programmes). This back up I store on Drive D. On checking the amount of space used on drive D I noticed that quite a lot of space had been used, (its a 60gb hd). I often do a new back up using DImage about once a month and I noticed that when I looked at the contents of D especially the file called Image there was about 8 seperate files one marked Image the others when you click on them asks if you want to search the internet. I thought that when you made a new back up the previous one was deleted but I may be wrong. I have deleted all the files except the main image file, is this OK. Thanks

Seems like you made a big mistake. Disk image splits your backup into several files just like zip where the first one indexes the others. By deleting any part, you have corrupted the entire backup and need to reimage. Same goes with Ghost.

Thanks for your reply coathanger, I will do a re-image. I still don't understand why everytime you do an image the space used on the hard drive increases. I thought the previous image would be removed.

No, you'll have to manually override the previous image yourself. You might be able to recover deleted files by using PC Inspector File recovery freeware.

When you do the image w/DI you simply have to direct the image to the previous image or it will jus go where it wants, as coathanger has stated. (Especially on a diff partition.) At least thats the way it works for me. Then its jus 1 file not several.

I make 2 images though.First one is after a "fresh" install. The other is a continually "up to date" image. I name each of them so that I know which is which. Jus takes a little practice. :)

If you were fussy enough, you could have a removeable hard drive partitioned to store each image. i.e 1 backup image per partition.

As for continual backups, kitct, you might like to try mirrored RAID :)

Thanks coathanger, actually my "continual" update is jus every few weeks or so, an I jus put the image (replacing the previous image) on my data partition on an 80g hdd an there is plenty of space there. :)

Edit: Jus wondered, would it be ok to put mandrake on my e: partition even though I already have 98 on c: and xp on d: do you know (noticed you have linux tri boot)?

Now that I think about it, RAID could be great alternative to goback - I'll post in the other thread.

Testing edit button - hope this works.:D

That should be fine. Just remember to install in correct order - 98, XP, Mandrake. Wow, I didn't even notice the edit button until now - could be really handy!

Thank you everybody for your input and I stand corrected. I deleted DI2000 completely and reinstalled the programme. I used the wizard and made a new image file on my second hard drive 'd'. I then used it to copy my c drive and yes it took up the same amount of disk space as before. The image file is just over 7GB and takes about three hours to copy using drive image. Thanks once again for your help.

You must have quite a slow hard disk or DI slower than Ghost. I imaged over 3 times that size in half that time. :)

Does seem odd.I do my 9G OS from my 80G hdd an it takes about 10 minutes. :)

Perhaps DI is slower as it works in Windows OS with stuff running in the background while Ghost reboots into faster DOS mode - or could just be slow 5400rpm HDD or IDE bandwidth, or could be because of high compression used...quite a significant speed difference...anyway, this is starting to go off topic.

Hello again, I am not all that expert in the use of this programme all I did was install it and use the wizard to create the image copy on my D Drive. I think it uses high compression when imaging For your information there are ten files in the image folder, one PQI File showing 2,097,024 KB's and the other nine showing the same amount of KB's, does this mean that there is a multiplication of 2097024x10.

Hard Drive is 60gb running at 7200 Maxtor make.

I would be pleased if you could give me a few tips on how to do an image faster.

I may have given false info in my previous post, I do a complete copy of my C drive which includes other programmes and on checking I found that the used space is 22.9GB's on this drive, slightly more than I suggested earlier. Sorry.

What you've said is correct. I never use compression as I have plenty of space but the I'm guessing your speed should be about right. Only way I can think of speeding up is to run in DOS or get an even faster hard drive. But as long as you do backups relatively infrequently, 3 hours overnight isn't a huge hassle.

Thanks coathanger007 for the time spent in helping me out. Even with the image done I still have over half the D Drive empty, I think next time I try it out without the compression and see what happens, once again thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back