Drive Image 2002 question

M

mcoons

I am considering adding an external Firewire harddrive and was wondering if I will be able to directly create my image copies on the external drive.
The manual says you cannot use FireWire CD burners but not mention harddrives. Nor could I find the answer to this question on PowerQuests website.
I know I can always create the image on my internal harddrive and them move it to the external but it would be a lot easier to do it in one transaction.
Thanks.

I'm not so sure. Keep in mind that Drive Image creates the image from outside the gui in what is essentially DOS level after a reboot. I have to believe that the reason it can't use a firewire CD is that the driver isn't loaded that early in the boot process so the CD isn't recognized. If that's the case, then it would seem that the same problem would exist with the hard drive. It all depends on whether or not the drive is recognized at the time Drive Image begins it's process.

I've found that PowerQuest is very good at responding to both email and telephone questions - I think they are the ones to ask.

if its on a fat32 drive then use a utility in linux that backs up your hd im pritty sure the 2.4.18 or 2.4.19 kernels have firewire suport

Allan, Yes I thought of that and have sent an email to PowerQuest and will probably hear from them in the next couple of days.

Also, your description of the process is very true for verion 5.0 but 6.0 does not reboot to DOS as near as I can tell. It lets you create an image while still in XP. At least that is how it appears to work to me. Just thought that maybe someone out there had already tried this.

Thanks for your input.

Mark

No mccoons, that's not correct. I have version 6 (Drive Image 2002) and although it has a great user interface in XP, it still reboots to "DOS" level to do it's work. There's no other way for imaging (or any disk utility) to work with XP - it's just too protective of open files. Imaging Utilities need to copy all files on a partition - including those in use - and XP demands exclusive access to open files (very proprietary OS, that XP ;) ). So the utilitiy needs to shut down windows and do its work from outside the GUI.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back