Drag to shortcut to open?

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
If I have, say a .jpg, and I drag it over my MS Paint Shortcut, it opens in Paint. If I drag a .DOC over my MS Word Shortcut, it won't open. If I drag that same document over the WinWord.exe within the c:\program files\microsoft office\office 11\, it works.

Is there a way I can change that?

I know I could double-click, or right-click and open with, but I was just wondering....

EDIT: Just to add, I'm using Office 2003 Pro, and I have tested this feature with Word and Excel, neither works.

Winword, is she in the system path? I suspect I'm barking up the right tree, not sure though...

winword.exe is located here:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

You know what's odd KC? I went into Start Programs, right clicked Microsoft Word and made a shortie on the desktop.

When I drag a .doc over the shortcut and drop it, it opens Word.

NOTE: There is Office 2000 installed on this work PC.

Look at the target line of the shortcut you have now as it will just have the name of the application instead of a target path.

You could delete current shortcut then create a new shortcut with winword.exe as the target and all will be good to go.

I see what you are saying American Z...

My target line is this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE"

My original one created by setup just says Microsoft Word 2003 and it is grayed out so you can not change it.

But a new shortcut with full path to Winword.exe works for what KC wants to do.

American Zombie said:
My original one created by setup just says Microsoft Word 2003 and it is grayed out so you can not change it.

But a new shortcut with full path to Winword.exe works for what KC wants to do.

AWESOME, thx! Reps coming..

I wonder why they do that? (Make a special shortcut)

Perhaps since it wouldn't know which directory you may have installed Office 2003 to?

Microsoft Office uses a program called misc.exe to launch applications (via switches).

This file can be found in: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{....}

e.g. C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}

The Installer folder is a protected operating system folder.

More and more programs are using this method. Adobe Acrobat 7.0 (Standard/Professional) is the same.

Why do they choose to do it that way? Have another app launch the app you want. I think its redicolous.

I don't know what the thought process is behind it. I would assume it's easier to add switches for all the programs into one executable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back