Downloading speeds

S

Serpentuk

Last week i was downloading a file at 5.23 on a standard fone line but now for some reason every download is marked at 1.25 and it is annoying me downloading 1 meg in 16 minutes.
Could there be any reason for it doing that, as it has stuck at the other speed for ages.:( :( :(

If youve got a phone connected to the same line it can cause extra line voltage and adversly affect your modem & connection

no i dont have a phone line connected as well, i only have one but i have to disconnect that to go online. Its only just happened. and now something else has happened i cant view any websites in ie6.

GRRRRR so annoys me

Have you installed any internet related software that could be hogging your bandwidth?

Like what...give some examples that could be doing that???..Dont really understand what you mean :confused:

modem tweaker, peer2peer,atomic clock,live updates, ect. Has your connection speed reduced when you sign on ? it could be your isp having network problems.

i have kazaa and win mx they are peer to peer arent they????......no the only liveupdates would be norton.

these shouldnt make a difference but sometimes they can be set to run at start up & with xp hiding sys tray icons you could be connected & not know it. Oh yeah 56k modem cables do become faulty over time. Have you had BT increase the gain on your line ?

no...its only just happened really so i dont know but i am literally thinking of upgrading to broadband in all due course.
But just wondered why this happend really

More than likley a network problem even with adsl - t3 - cable if you come across a bottle neck in the network download speeds will drop to the speed of a 56k. I've been using 56k for 3 x year on aol as well and the speeds vary all the time the fastest I've ever had was a steady 12kbs all the way through. But the norm is starting @ 4kbs and dropping to between 1 & 2.

Back when I used dialup, the phone company would switch the route that my phone line took when they added substations in or needed to add things. My connection speeds would change from 48800 all the way down to 28.8 just because of this. It would go to a city south of where my ISP was, then need to come all the way back north. If this is the case, sometimes they can change the line you are using or put you on a better quality line. I suggest getting cable, its almost as cheap as Dial-up now anyway :)

have you tried any registy tweaks? look on the net for some dial up tweaks that will optimize windows for your connection

oops... well its for broadband users :D my bad... but a few tips in win2k, winxp winme, and win98 might help you a little :)

make shur there is no power cord laying ontop of your lines . this can cause the frequancy to change and restrict your speed sounds a little crazy be its true.

p.s. get cable and enjoy the internet

for one thing, you've got spyware loaded into kazaa so that may be a possibility of taking some extra bandwidth on your already limited modem.

I hate spyware... hate it hate it hate it... I hate spyware as much as Cartman HATES HIPPIES.... I HATE IT...

:(

lots of programs out there use spyware: audiogalaxy, kazaa, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back