Downloading problems

Tittles

Dabba Dooba
Political Access
Hey well whenever i try to download something it starts off at a really really high speed. Like 400kb or more which cant happen as i have dial up. Then after a bit it goes back to normal speed but then the download gets corrupt. I notice this in both firefox and using IE. Is there anything that would make this happen? It pisses me off cause i cant download anything besides from a p2p program.

Clear your internet cache.

Why don't you tell us what speed is typical for you and we can go from there, because Steevo is right, clearing your cache will hill help a bit. Don't get your hopes up about speedy downloads if you're using dial-up though. That's just the way it is.

Press shift when you click the link.

What has happened for me, even on DSL is a corrupted download will remain in the cache and will try to copy from there ifrst. Shift will *usally* force a complete reload form sorce.

The high download average at the start of the download is not really a problem - just that Windows only starts counting when the download window opens, and usually some of the data is then already download, hence the high start average

/ this high average can actually be forced if you quit a download just before the end and then restart the download, yep the cache loads first, so you can fake a download average of megabytes per minute :laugh: only funny once, as a fake show off :laugh: /

if on a phone-connection you see 400 K/sec average at the start, it sounds to me Windows takes to long to open the download window, therefore I assume your RAM is a bit full or your processor is too busy - Check Task Manager

My speed should be around 4-5kb a sec and somtimes it never goes down from 400kb or w/e its at. Clearing the cache helped a tiny bit but the downloads still get corrupted. I will the shift method and see what that does.

edit: it didnt do anything...nothin seems to work :\. Somethin is fooked up :dead:.

4-5kb/per second is about average if I remember right. I haven't dialup in about five years though. Don't expect much more.

I dont know where some of u are getting off that i am expecting more. I aint expecting more i just wanna figure out why my downloads always start at a really really high speed which makes my download corrupt.

Jozhik said:
/ this high average can actually be forced if you quit a download just before the end and then restart the download, yep the cache loads first, so you can fake a download average of megabytes per minute :laugh: only funny once, as a fake show off :laugh: /

I just have to click download and get a trasnfer rate > 2MB/sec within Europe :D

Outside of Europe Net Transport ensures speeds upto 6MB/Sec...

Sweet eh :p

TittleBitties said:
I dont know where some of u are getting off that i am expecting more. I aint expecting more i just wanna figure out why my downloads always start at a really really high speed which makes my download corrupt.

Couple things you can try: reboot, clear cache , use a download manager if you are not already, if you are using one try downloading without it as sometimes they are the cause of corruption.

If none of that works it maybe the file is corruped on the source server, or any manner of things on the physical cabling/devices along the way required to get the data to you.

I did all that lord :)...thanks tho. I dont use a download manager but i will look into using one again as i stopped using one a year or so ago.

I know it has to do with something on my part cause no matter where i download from it a file always ends up corrupt.

Yeah well i just thought of something...i cant really download a download manager cause i cant download anything cause it will become corrupt :\. I guess i will have to have someone download it and put it on cd for me.

Well i could always download it from bearshare :p

Does the phone your on have call waiting? If it does you have to disable it before satrting a download otherwise the call waiting click will corrupt any transfers in progress.

How good a modem do you have? If it's a cheap one it may be allowing a connection at too high a speed for the line quaity. If it's a good name brand one skip this comment.

Are there multiple phones on the line you use to download? If so someone picking up a phone to talk could (or as I saw once, to listen to the cool modem noises) corrupt the download.

Don't try and do other things on the computer while you are downloading. This is a one time chekc to see if the download works if you leave it as the only task.

I have a seperate line and its just a basic line so no calling waiting or anything. Nobody can pick up the phone on this line as i dont have a phone for this line.

I have a pctel platinum v.90 modem and i think thats a good modem cept its kinda old but it works.

I have tried not using anything while downloading and it still does it.

Its just really odd that it does this...it liked started happening a few weeks ago but never really cared till now.

did you check the Task Manager as I suggested? would be useful to know exactly what is using your memory and CPU - I know at work one program crashed continually, because it didn't use memory correctly and frequently caused the PC to go beyond maximum memory usage...

Nothin seems to be doing anything to affect my downloads...

Attachments

• nothin wrong.JPG
    nothin wrong.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 82
  • seems fine.JPG
    seems fine.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 70
Just a suggestion:
I saw BearShare.exe twice, so I searched the internet...
2 results are:

Any peer-to-peer file swapping program, such as Audiogalaxy, Bearshare, Blubster, E-Mule, Gnucleus, Grokster, Imesh, KaZaa, KaZaa Lite, Limewire, Morpheus, Shareaza, WinMX and Xolox. In an organization, can degrade network performance and consume vast amounts of storage. May create security issues as outsiders are granted access to internal files. Often bundled with Adware or Spyware.

bearshare.exe is considered to be a security risk, not only because spyware removal programs flag BearShare as spyware, but also because a number of users have complained about its performance

yes i know bearshare is runnign twice but its not connected. I am only connected with it when i download something and i dont download alot of music and all that cause i have dial up. I just tried it without bearshare even running and cleared the cache again and still no luck :(.

if you're not using it, better uninstall it, I wouldn't be surprised if it still influences your system...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back