downloading in winXP sucks all bandwidth

S

spudly

what the crap is wrong with the bandwidth in windowsXP??

whenever i am downloading something, all other internet access is pretty well blocked. i can't browse the net or chat or anything! i can't even ping internet servers for cryin out loud.

is there anyway to fix this? cuz it pisses me off

Can I get some more details on your connection?

Dial-up or broadbard?

Are you using Internet Connection Sharing?

Are you using Internet Connection Firewall (or any other firewall)

If broadband:

Is it PPPoE DSL?

Are you using a Hardware Router?

JJB6486

im using ICS, over a dialup connection. the host computer is a WinME machine.

i have a 56k modem but only 28k access cuz i live out in the boonies. i really dont think that makes a difference tho.

everything works fine until i start downloading something. (using ie6)

isn't there some registry tweak or something that fixes this? my friend also has the same problem.

I hate to disappoint,,, but downloading does use all available bandwidth... Unless you have a download manager that's set to limit it...

Even with broadband downloading will consume everything...

yeah i know. thats the problem.

im hoping someone knows of a registry hack or something that will fix it.

My old comp had the same problem...but now I use a newer one so I didnt' bother fixing it....(I would still like to know how to fix it)

i just spent the night at someone's house who had a cable modem and i hooked my comp up to it. with the cable modem, the problem disappeared, so obviousely this has to do with my connection to the net

If you really want to fix that problem get a download manager and limit your dl's to about 1.5kb/s... That will still leave you with a little bandwidth ot browse... But your dl's are gonna be a lot slower... There's no way to win with a 56er...

ok here goes

Ok i don't want to offend but i really don't think u understand the internet at all. U have a 56k modem thus it can only recevie so much and of course cable and adsl modems are faster they can get 60kbs on a 56k u should get about 5.6 top any thing higher and windows is not reporting your connection speed correctlty, there is not a hack in the world that will increase your bandwidth with a 56k. However u did say that u connect at 28 or something that is very low and on a 56k you are not geting the full bandwidth potenitail, try setting your port setting for the modem higher other wise just face facts with a 56k or less you are at a snails pace, don't expect too much.
AOL some people in this forum talk shit about connections speeds and how high they have got there 56k to go, don't listen to them a 56k is what it is. The reg hacks u have heard about will do nothing when u download they similpy change packet size, this will only really be of benefit when web browsering with nothing else open.

%^

Re: ok here goes

Originally posted by hyperlink1uk
However u did say that u connect at 28 or something that is very low and on a 56k you are not geting the full bandwidth potenitail, try setting your port setting for the modem higher

"i have a 56k modem but only 28k access cuz i live out in the boonies."

He's too far out to make a 56k connection. In order to get 56k connectivity you have to be within a certain distance of your CO and your line has to be relatively clean, similar to the requirements for DSL.

But hyperlink is pretty much right. Your bandwidth IS balanced between the download and your web-browsing, but it's mostly just trying to get too much data through too small a connection. Either use a download manager (preferable one without spyware), download at night when you're asleep, or just don't browse while downloading. That will save you the majority of your sanity.
/Lactic

Hmm

ok, he has ICS, on how many computers? only get 28.8 because he is to far, and he is wondering why all his bandwidth is used when he downloads something? Haha, thats a good one. hyperlink1uk is 100% correct. Even with DSL or Cable as a backbone, you will see a decrease in bandwidth across your network. But hopefully broadband will be in your area soon and can help you out in getting more bandwidth.

HE KOWS ALL THIS...what he wants to do, is still leave bandwidth for surfing...he's not concerned about how long the download takes, since he's surfing, it can take all the while he's on line, as long as he can surf.

I didn't know download managers can limit bandwidth, but if they can, that's his solution.

can all download managers manage bandwidth?

in any event, a download manager is an absolute must for dialup connections, as they give you resume.

My favorite free one is star

I have this problem as well sometimes. It's not that it's slow, it should be. It's just that nothing else works. Nothing. The bandwidth should be shared since nothing is prioritized. Therefor a little tiny ping or ICQ should work even if you download. But it doesn't. And I have no clue why. Stop downloading and pinging, ICQ and surfing works again. Anyone?

when i did have 56k, i could only top at 3.5 kb/s. The damn phone lines here in da ghetto wern't capable of getting a 53k connection. Only 31.2 or something. it was horrible.

now i have cable. 250 kb/s downloads. :)

you guys don't get it, do you?

you guys just don't get it, do you?

OK... first off, dealer: thanks.

dealer is right guys. i DO know all this stuff. i know about download managers and connection speeds and all that other BS

my problem is NOT that my connection is slow. my problem is that ALL BANDWIDTH is reserved for downloading and, as a result, when downloading a file NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK!!! even a simple ping won't work.

ok... now for the download manager thing
limiting the bandwidth doesn't help. it still does the same thing. no matter how low the limit, nothing works. so you see that download managers are good for nothing except resuming files and setting up a list of files to be downloaded one (or more) at a time.

the problem definitely has something to do with WINDOWS XP! before upgrading, i had the same connection speed, through the same internet connection sharing configuration, with the same internet service provider. the only difference: i was running windows 98. i upgraded and all of a sudden it doesn't work. if that's not XP then what the freak is it?

i tried even completely reformatting my hard drive and starting from scratch. it didn't work.

i think i've decided the problem... some nerd at microsoft thought it would be funny to insert the following code into windows xp's networking.

if (downloading == 1)
{
Disable_Internet();
}

i guess i'm screwed until this guy gets caught and microsoft releases a service pack to fix the problem

- spudly
- http://www.shuoink.com/

I understand your problem, but I can't reproduce it. I have three dialup locations, and I can do as many as two downloads, and still be able to surf...sorry I can't help...we'll keep trying.

hope someone comes up with something for ya

Try this...might help, after you limit the bandwidth for the download, then limit the download site to one location...that might help

Originally posted by spudly
i just spent the night at someone's house who had a cable modem and i hooked my comp up to it. with the cable modem, the problem disappeared, so obviousely this has to do with my connection to the net

you got it. dialup modems take up all your bandwidth when you are downloading

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back