download speed

J

Joe

Iv'e never had a download speed above 7 k with any provider, modem, or computer I have owned. 7 k is very rare and only happens around once a year for me. 5k is the usual. I have used download accelerators and internet boosters but only increased the usual by maybe 1k(used to be around 4). Does anyone know of a good way to increase my speed to at least an average of 7k or higher?

Thanks,
Joe

um if you are using a normal 56k modem..7k is the ABSOLUTE maximum..and thats if your connected at 56000

56000/8 = 7000 which = 7k

So thats your max, sorry man

Get Broadband or switch to a provider that deals with duplexing modems. Try pcpitstop.com. They have some no-frills, free online apps that perform registry hacks. That 5.4K download is what I used to get though. Theres really nothing you can do about it.

once i was downloading this 3 meg file on a 56k modem and it took me 1 and a half minute. The speed I was downloading at was 21.8k !!!!!

Hehe....
I'm going on a new DSL service in Sweden... maxing around 400kb/s and they are going to double their downstream speed, so I'm not complaining...

How to get 3 more max speed (i don't know if it work with XP but it work with 9x and ME):

Youc an download this file that change the registry and it will add 3 more max speed when you go in the properties of your modem.

Registry change

Or you can post a reply and i'll try to translate all the process to you, but it's long and the file does it all for you.

sKaUcH

That registry change can up your max speed a little yes, but it can also DECIMATE your ping and cause massive packetloss I really DO NOT recommend using it...thats just my opinion from a networking standpoint, there is no need for a 56k modem to need port access of 961000, all it does it cause buffer problems and packetloss

has anyone else tested this patch?

the best i can do it 4 .7 ever love to get more any one else help

the other question if i put in the reg and dont like it how can I take it out again

Rechange all the values...

You can view the registry file's values by right-clicking, then edit. It'll open in NotePad and you can see what it changed...

i was getting 17k for like 2 days straight about 2 years ago on my 56k it was so f**ked up

???? modems

tried that reg change but nothing happened
I have a pci modem whould that be the reason.
in OZ we have the highest cost to use cable or higher,
so the f 56k has to do.

I can change these can one give me the best setting please

RWIN
TTL
Fast Retransmision support
SACK
Simultaneous HTTP connections

also the important factor what is the AT command to stop fall back speed whilest connecting

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back