Double loading of files

D

dacsue

When I start up I have two copies of start up programmes loaded. One is under a user name (NT Authority) and the other is under (Default).
It takes ages to load. What can I do?

Check these four registry keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ Shell Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\ User Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\ User Shell Folders

Look in the right pane for items called Common Startup and Startup. One of these entries may point to the wrong folder.

The values for startup should point to
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup or
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

The values for common startup should point to
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If you find an entry that isn't right doubleclick the value and change it.

Before making any changes rightclick the key (folder) and choose export to backup the key.

YOYO - thank you but although I made the corrections in the user folders I am STILL getting the same thing with NT Authority and Default (with the odd user) loading the same files.
Any further ideas?
Regards
David

YOYO
I also notice thatthere are default, NT Authority and user for the programmes with accessories etc apparently loaded 3 times? and 4 startup groups - me, allusers, NT authority and default.

What kind of programs are we talking about? Can you give examples?

In case you are referring to processes like svchost.exe loading several times, that is normal.

Those startup groups you mention (especially this NT authority) where do they appear?

I looked in msinfo32 -programme groups.
They are:-
accessories
accssories\accesibility
accessories\entertainment
startup -default user: startup
startup - me
startup -allusers
startup - Nt Authority\system:startup
I cannot, as yet find out where they reside to explore them

Regards

That is perfectly normal. Doesn't mean that there is actually something starting several times.
Look in taskmanager - are there duplicate entries under applications or processes that should not be there?

The only duplicate seems to be svchost.exe which is running in 6 different plases including three under system.
sorry I may have put in a red herring with the programme groups.
It is the start up that appears to be the problem. I may have to bite the bullet and re-install. Any advice?

Thank you for all your help
David

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back