Door open for silicon replacement

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
Well sort of...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3598836.stm

A replacement for silicon in electronic devices has come a step closer, the Nature journal reports.
Silicon chips can malfunction at high temperatures, often from heat generated by their own circuitry.

But experts have now overcome the flaws that plague crystals of silicon carbide, a hard compound that is more resistant to heat than silicon.

The material could now fulfil its potential as a replacement for silicon, say Japanese researchers.

Silicon carbide (SiC) could be used to make electronic devices that can operate at high power, in fierce heat or at lethal doses of radiation.

If the breakthrough can be carried forward commercially, it could spawn a wide range of improved devices, including electronics that work in red-hot jet engines, better wireless communications and radar, as well as improving smart devices that optimize performance in cars.

..."The [layering] process is a major innovation in materials science. Silicon carbide has become, at last, a contender for silicon's crown."

Previous research has already shown that even at red-hot temperatures as high as 650C (1,202F), silicon carbide devices can function unperturbed and without the need for cooling.

WOW, 650C! Could you even imagine having a comp that put out soo much heat it could heat your house! Looks like the time of how much heat the silicon can take it going to take a back seat to how much heat can everything else withstand.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back