Doom3 Performance Boost

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Found the following this morning
I dunno if it's just me, but I noticed this trick beefed up my DOOM3 performance by a lot.

Anyhoo:

In your DOOM 3 directory, find "DoomConfig.cfg" (x:\Program Files\Doom 3\base). Open DoomConfig.cfg in Notepad.

Find the line:

seta image_cacheMegs "32"

I changed 32 to 96.

I got a nice boost in performance. I dunno if the tweak worked or not (maybe my machine did something wierd, have no clue), so I'm just seeing if this works for others as well, or if a different setting works better than others.
can't try it myself yet, but thought I'd share in case it works and you guys find it useful.. if not then we can just use the thread for tweaks that do work :D

Should bring a nice boost to loading times etc.
But not to the game itself from what I read.

Hmm mine was on cachemegs"20" so I've changed to 96, see what it's like a bit later methinks.

seems to be a placebo effect (according to the lad who coined the term :D)

tbh it does FEEL smoother but no massive performance boost noted wrt frame-rate...

*sticks up hand*

You could also try buying a more powerful computer to get a performance boost.

*ducks*

Electronic Punk said:
what about loading times?

other than a perceived smoothness I have noticed no difference whatsoever...

i noticed that nvidia updated their drivers yesterday again, maybe has something to do with doom 3

Yup yup

themafia_69 said:
i noticed that nvidia updated their drivers yesterday again, maybe has something to do with doom 3

I installed the new driver and am now playing the game on Ultra settings with no lag as of yet. (although I don't really see much of a "noticable difference in quality) The optimization they did for Dx 9c seems to have made a difference. Now all I have to do is figure out how to kill the 1st Boss monster in Hell. He's one tough S.O.B!

-Wrath

NVIDIA haven't updated their drivers.
I am consulting with them aka telling em about all the stuff that doesn't work on mine and they are telling me if they fixed it in 65.xx or not ;)

I read that the value for seta image_cacheMegs "32" should be 25% of your system RAM. Furthermore, the entry above it, seta image_useCache "0", should be "1".

I also heard that seta image_cacheMinK "200" could be set to "2048" for further performance enhancement. Not sure if any of this works, but it's worth a try.

This thing is a wash. I recorded my own time demo to test it all. I ran everything at 1024x768, No AA, 16x AF, Catalyst 4.9 Beta, Radeon 9800 Pro at default clock speeds, Athlon XP 2800+, 1GB DDR333 memory.

36.1 FPS w/cachemegs=20 cacheminK=200 useCache=0

CRASH w/cachemegs=20 cacheminK=200 useCache=1

36.5 FPS w/cachemegs=96 cacheminK=200 useCache=0

36.3 FPS w/cachemegs=96 cacheminK=2048 useCache=1

38.7 FPS W/Cachemegs=256 cacheminK=2048 useCache=0

36.5 w/cachemegs=20 cacheminK=4096 useCache=0

Electronic Punk said:
NVIDIA haven't updated their drivers.
I am consulting with them aka telling em about all the stuff that doesn't work on mine and they are telling me if they fixed it in 65.xx or not ;)

Cool. Well I did notice a big difference between 65.76 and 65.77

-Wrath

More Tweaks

PROBLEM: Stutters in game movement/mouse stalls sluggish performance during game-even on high end sys's w/ATI/Nvidia 512 videocards!

FIX HighEnd Sys: 1. Defrag your HD 2. Goto ur Doom3 dir, using winrar(shareware2.3 works!) open all the pak files and extract to same dir, then delete the original pak files. Need lot's of harddrive space!

FIX LowEnd Sys: Open Doomconfig.cfg file (notepad) find these 3 lines:

Default (Before change):

seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_cacheMegs "20"or"32"(variesonMB RAM)
seta image_cacheMinK "200" (Standard for most)

Change " " to:
seta image_useCache "1" (Turns it on)
seta image_cacheMegs "256" (half my sys RAM)
seta image_cacheMinK "20480" (uncompresses images from Precompressed files in pak files).

Source (see comments at bottem of article)

/note
The game takes up just shy of 4gb uncompressed.

Just read that extract the pak tweaked... sounds good.
Tho it will break multiplayer mode.

Electronic Punk said:
Just read that extract the pak tweaked... sounds good.
Tho it will break multiplayer mode.
And if they have to have anti-cheat servers like CS to combat cheaters using that .pak exploit on frontpage then will likely get you banned as well. :p

FIX HighEnd Sys: 1. Defrag your HD 2. Goto ur Doom3 dir, using winrar(shareware2.3 works!) open all the pak files and extract to same dir, then delete the original pak files. Need lot's of harddrive space!

FIX LowEnd Sys: Open Doomconfig.cfg file (notepad) find these 3 lines:

Default (Before change):

seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_cacheMegs "20"or"32"(variesonMB RAM)
seta image_cacheMinK "200" (Standard for most)

Change " " to:
seta image_useCache "1" (Turns it on)
seta image_cacheMegs "256" (half my sys RAM)
seta image_cacheMinK "20480" (uncompresses images from Precompressed files in pak files).

did this and it seems to have made things alot smoother. also has no effect on the (duct tape mod).

gona defrag and see if that helps even more :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back