Doom III: ---> Can my current system run it?

• Thread starter Cannibal Corpse
  • Start date
C

Cannibal Corpse

Efficiently that is?

Granted, I don't have a AGP X8 Video card (if Doom III requires one, which I doubt), but my current system, is more powerful for the 'age old' Quake III engine based games (Alice, FAKK2, RTCW, SOFII). Not to mention that none of them utilizes the features that are found on nVIDIA based video cards, all the way back to DD256 version.

The only game that I think stresses my system is Unreal Tournament 2003.

Bottom line:

Can my current system run Doom III efficiently?

No! Nothing will run Doom III :p

Wasn't it premiered on the GeForce3 on Mac Platform long long ago ?

If your pc spec wouldn't run efficiently on Doom 3.. i doubt our system will be able to get thru the installation process. :D

I am currently {
| |
intrigue_alvin83@hotmail.com
| |
alvinauboonhock
}
=========================
Intel P4 1.5 Ghz
Intel D850GB MOBO
256MB PC 800 RDRAM
20GB Maxtor HDD (5400 RPM)
40GB Maxtor HDD (7200 RPM)
52X Creative CDROM
8X4X32 Creative CDRW
16X ASUS DVD ROM
Iomega 100 MB USB Zip Drive
SYBA Ultra ATA IDE controller card
SB live 5.1 DE
Ageing Gainward 64MB GF2MX400 --> | Upgrading to GF4 Ti4 series |
Altec Lansing ACS 56
Dlink D538TX NIC

A 2.8 and a 9700 PRO runs it at 800 X 600
d3snip.jpg

And arn't you on the ut2003 message boards as well? I'm XP2 over there.....

And yes.... your system will run Doom 3, 100% sure. By the time optimizations, and everything is taken into effect, a 2.2ghz, 512mb ram, Gf4 should run it fine at 640X480 or 800X600 with medium settings.

Kuja your crazy theres no way the specs are gonna be that high that he will only be able to run it at 640x480 at medium settings. Considering the engine was ruff 1 year 1/2 ago and it ran fine on a geforce 3 he doesn't have ANYTHING to worry about. I say 1024x768 FULL detail.

I concur... plus you also have raw drivers for the 9700... they will be optimized also nvidia WILL release new drivers for the g4 ti series to optimize their performance in the game too...

1024x768 is very likely... maybe not all details since the 4600 may not have hardware to handle all the shading and what not... but extremely capable of running it @ that detail level... no doubt... I am probably going to run it at that res to start with if it is smooth enough :)

your specs are enough even for two quake 3 games running at the same time!

heh

Originally posted by Krux
Kuja your crazy theres no way the specs are gonna be that high that he will only be able to run it at 640x480 at medium settings. Considering the engine was ruff 1 year 1/2 ago and it ran fine on a geforce 3 he doesn't have ANYTHING to worry about. I say 1024x768 FULL detail.

The latest PC gamer, and Carmack say otherwise..... oh well.....

The engine has evolved heavily. When design began, the requirements where a 733 with a Geforce 3.... back then those stat's where top of the line.... Now it runs at just 800X600 on a 9700 PRO. Just read the latest PC Gamer, he explains everything...

Everyone should stop speculating until some official demo or final code is released, and it can be tested by the public on 'real' machines :)

Originally posted by Kuja
The latest PC gamer, and Carmack say otherwise..... oh well.....

The engine has evolved heavily. When design began, the requirements where a 733 with a Geforce 3.... back then those stat's where top of the line.... Now it runs at just 800X600 on a 9700 PRO. Just read the latest PC Gamer, he explains everything...

actually if you continue and read the entire article... the game is running full specs @ 800x600 with a 9700pro for the in game shots that are posted... BUT carmack also said that the game will be optimized farther so that more people can play it...

I am expecting to play the game @ 1024x768 @ full specs... and since you have a similar system in terms of raw performance you should be able to do the same...

you guys said the same thing about UT2k3 before it was eleased..it's better for ID to designate the game for everybody or they will lose money..I think all Ge-force chips will run the game.

Hey, I'd be very happy if it ran on anything starting on 1 ghz's and higher, and im sure a lot of people would be happy too. I'm just stating the stats that he posted on further pages. If it's like UT2003 beta, and UT2003 Retail difference in speed, then wicked. But the rendering engine is complete, and most of the graphics, so I don't know how he will do it. Then again it is Carmack, so if he can get it running, they hooray, where all in for an amazing game. If not, and he said this might cause it, everyone is going to upgrade JUST for doom 3.

I think the time has come where we have to save some money and wait for some top of the line hardware this coming holiday season.

I am currently {
| |
intrigue_alvin83@hotmail.com
| |
alvinauboonhock
}
Intel P4 1.5 Ghz
Intel D850GB MOBO
256MB PC 800 RDRAM
20GB Maxtor HDD (5400 RPM)
40GB Maxtor HDD (7200 RPM)
52X Creative CDROM
8X4X32 Creative CDRW
16X ASUS DVD ROM
Iomega 100 MB USB Zip Drive
SYBA Ultra ATA IDE controller card
SB live 5.1 DE
Ageing Gainward 64MB GF2MX400 --> | Upgrading to GF4 Ti4 series |
Altec Lansing ACS 56
Dlink D538TX NIC

ut2k3 SUCKS when it comes to memory performance...

so many memory leak issues that should have been sorted out BEFORE the release of the product... its ludicrous..

at least Carmack has said he will have the game optimised before release... so we can look for some decent performane...

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back