Dont Overclock with Petium

N

Not Bman

Just saying, if you over clock with a petium (intel) you will screw up your computer !!

Intel sucks for overclocking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Hate it !

That would be nice to know... I would say the CPU fried

when i tryed to overclock with an intel, all my games that i had froze right away, and my computer ran really slow !!

Maybe you went too far.
You're supposed to bump up the FSB by very small intervals.

lol. Not overclocking anymore!? I think I'm going to melt a CPU today with an OLD mobo...I have so many of those darned P1s laying around...

P4 Overclock well

I have 2 systems one running athlon 2.2 and another P4 2.4b and my P4 overclocks alot better than my Athlon.....i have no preference on cpu just stating the fact.

neither overclocks better than the other actually... its all dependent entirely on the cooling systems employed... I have seen both p4's and athlon xp's scaled beyond the 3.6 ghz mark...

it just so happens that the pentium heats less than the athlon therefore can be scaled farther... but do bear in mind that the athlon also does not slow down as it heats up..

thats probably what happened to b_man's cpu... intel has inbuilt technology that reduces the work done as temperature increases so as to reduce temps and potential damage to the cpu...

i.e. netburst technology = pretty much crummy... :) IMO only though...

best thing to do before oc'ing is to make sure you have adequate/appropriate cooling in order to scale the cpu clock higher... best ways to oc are to increase the fsb/clock multipliers... but again you need to understand HOW oc'ing works else you might go out and blow yer USB, pci and agp devices.... and thats not really worth it for a few extra points on a benchmark..

If Your going to overclock...

Do Your Homework First....For new peeps to overclocking their is plenty of info out there to read up on first,and as in the above post overclocking voids your warrenty and you are putting your system under more strain than normall which may cause you a number of other faults..

Ps.. my P4 is not throttling back (push it too far and it does !) and the increases made to fsb provide better performance than doing the same on my athlon even on my 533fsb version of the chip.
This subject is far too big to go into and has been around for me since my 486cpu.

INte's are easy to overclock and very reliable, specially the northwoods. Intel will always be better to overclock because it has better anti-heating technology other than netburst.

gimme a break... i oc'd an athlon 1700+ tp 2100+ on stock cooling and no unlocked multipliers on an fic an11 stealth board and still kept the cpu at below 55c.. i only did it for a couple hours. but windows xp loaded and everything ran fine.. then i went and got a good cpu cooler a couple case fans and now it stays at about 45c. a little hot i know but not bad for a 1700+ Like i said its all about the cpu mobo combo. some cpus like some mobos better. just have to find that click in every board. im on my parents computer i just built with a 1.333 gig athlon and its running at 1500mhz with a slim volcano 8 on an old epox mobo

intel has better heat managment because....
1, they do less work per clock cycle then an XP
2, they have that piece of metal that goes over the die so it has more surface area to get rid of heat.
3, the p4 is on a .13 micron die the XP's are on a .15 the smaller the die the less heat it puts off and the higher the clock can be.

AMD has the same trottle back tech as intel its currently unsuported by MOST mobo manufac. this is not AMD fault, it is theres. (the manufac.)

Intel is a good company AMD is a good company I just think the p4 is a gimmick made to impress stupid people in staples and sears that the higher the clock speed the better it must be. I would take a PIII over a P4 anyday of the week. and an XP over both because it does what it says it can do.

Well i have p4 2.4GHz oc'ed to 2.85GHz, works just fine...

not .15 micron

Originally posted by Krux
intel has better heat managment because....
1, they do less work per clock cycle then an XP
2, they have that piece of metal that goes over the die so it has more surface area to get rid of heat.
3, the p4 is on a .13 micron die the XP's are on a .15 the smaller

For your information the Athlon XPs have .18 micron not .15 and AMD has been busting their balls just to be able to achieve .13 micron production for two years and we will see how it perfomes when it is released Q1 2k3 with ClawHammer.

Re: not .15 micron

Posted by DIEOT
For your information the Athlon XPs have .18 micron not .15 and AMD has been busting their balls just to be able to achieve .13 micron production for two years and we will see how it perfomes when it is released Q1 2k3 with ClawHammer.

wow... so much brilliant information... what to do...

the older athlon xp's WERE 0.18 micron.. the newer ones... i.e. 2200+ and higher are all on the 0.13 micron process... it was revised from the 2200+ to the 2400+ and higher... and 333fsb based 2700+ and 2800+ are the top of the line athlon's at the moment....

according to practically all reviewers... untill the p4 3.0ghz and higher come along next month.. the 2800+xp from athlon is the performance leader...

notice they didn't argue the first 2 points just the fact that I got the numbers wrong and the numbers weren't as important in that sentence as the fact that the smaller the die the better. Or that the P4 is a gimick they just chose to point out a minor mistake I made in my micron sizes. I stand by my post.

one tiny little problem with the smaller die is better for heat theory...

the smaller the die the smaller the overall surface area of the chip in contact with the HSF therefore less heat dissipation...

but to counteract that there is less heat being produced :)

and yes both companies employ gimmicks to get people to buy their products...

and no... clock speed is not indicative of the amount of work a processor does...

to put numbers to kRux's post... 9 instructions executed per clock cycle for AMD xp processors...

6 instructions per clock cycle for INTEL...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back