Done deal: Rocket returns to Astros

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
I know Venom will appreciate this... It makes me happy. Even if they just lost 4-3 in 11.

Retirement and the Hall of Fame will have to wait a little longer for Roger Clemens, because The Rocket has decided to go on one final mission for Houston.
No. 22 agreed to terms Wednesday on a one-year deal with the Astros to come back for a 23rd season, or at least the remaining four months of the current season.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner ended his seven-month retirement by accepting a deal that will pay him approximately $12.8 million -- the pro-rated value of his $22,000,022 seasonal contract -- to pitch for the Astros for the balance of the current season. Until he joins the Astros, Clemens is on a Minor League contract valued at $322,000 annually.

"Here we go again," Clemens said. "I'm going to give it a shot. I don't necessarily know that I need to or that I want to, but I'm committed."

Astros general manager Tim Purpura and Randy Hendricks, the agent who along with brother Alan represents Clemens, met late Tuesday night to iron out the contract details.

"There was no deal done yesterday, but I got a hold of Tim early in the evening and said, 'Why don't you come by my house and we can talk about this deal?' We got it done at about midnight last night; I talked to Roger real late. Clearly the other three teams [pursuing Clemens] -- Boston, [the New York Yankees] and Texas -- did terrific jobs. It was a tough decision for Roger."

The decision came after months of soul searching by Clemens and weeks of waiting by the Astros, Yankees and Red Sox, who had tendered offers to the right-hander in recent weeks. The Rangers were also in the hunt until they were informed on Friday that they were no longer in the running for Clemens.

Continued at Source: MLB

I saw this when the story broke earlier today, was happy and a bit agitated.

Roger is Roger, I respect him for his career accomplishments and his current ability. But, is he REALLY worth $22 million, just for half a season?

Good for him, but I think he's getting overpaid.

He's not being paid $22 mil. If he pitched the entire season that's what he would have been made. He's only making $12.2 mil.

All athletes are overpaid. But that's not what this thread is about. =]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back