Domain name question

I'm opening a new movie forum next month. I have'nt got a domain name for it yet and I was wondering if there are any disadvantages of having a "-" in it?

i.e. "me-you.com" as opposed to "meyou.com"

...or does it not really matter?

Well if you want to have a site easy to remember and navigate to, you should try to keep it simple. It's your call, but I would probably recommend a "meyou.com" setup.

I don't think you can have " in the domain name. I would check into that before you did it.

[edit]Sorry, I missread the post. I would go without the - as well. And, wwwdjrcs, get out of hide mode[/edit]

Johnny said:
I don't think you can have " in the domain name. I would check into that before you did it.

[edit]Sorry, I missread the post. I would go without the - as well[/edit]
You can't, but he was just giving examples. The symbol he was referring to was the hyphen "-" contained in the quotes.

wwwdjrcs said:
Well if you want to have a site easy to remember and navigate to, you should try to keep it simple. It's your call, but I would probably recommend a "meyou.com" setup.

majority of users now know how to have favorites, and their first visit to a site would most likely be via a link.

So, no it makes no difference if there is a hyphen or not.

The other thing to consider, which could limit your options is what is taken already. If you can get away with adding a char to get a desired site name essentionlly...

Hey people have already registered

http://www.whitehose.org

as contrasted from

http://www.whitehouse.gov

so if you need to add an underscore or some other char to get a descriptive name, it might not be all that different. Until you go to register though, you won't know what's been taken either by an actual site or a cyber-squater

Mastershakes said:
majority of users now know how to have favorites, and their first visit to a site would most likely be via a link.

So, no it makes no difference if there is a hyphen or not.
True, but first time visitors and people who only want to go there once won't be using a favorite until after the site is visited :lick:

Son Goku said:
Until you go to register though, you won't know what's been taken either by an actual site or a cyber-squater

Can we not do a whois to find out if it's a squatter?

wwwdjrcs said:
True, but first time visitors and people who only want to go there once won't be using a favorite until after the site is visited :lick:

Fair enough, still no difference.

K, cool. Gonna find out when CNN expires so I can sit on it.

I kid, I kid. (I desparately hope they wouldn't be dumb enough to let it go)

Expiry information for CNN:

Record expires on 23-Sep-2009

Usually, big name companies have auto renewel set up ..

Nah, a squater would go and register

www.condirice.com
www.other_potential_repub_candidate.com
www.other_potential_dem_candidate.com

and then whoever wins the presidency, leave them with their name taken... :laugh:

Although speaking of such issues, I wonder if it's ever happened where 2 different Internet registries got an application for the same precise domain name, and given it wasn't in the system/processed yet, they both took it. But when they went to register LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back