D'oh! Lost Access to My Documents

albacorebob

OSNN Newbie
:eek: D'oh! I just reinstalled my OS and went to my 2nd drive to get my docs from where I had saved them.

Stupid me forgot they were private folders. Now that the original account is destroyed - I cannot access them.

Is there any hope of getting back to them?

Hmm, try logging in as "Administrator"

If you are using XP, you might have to disable the use welcome screen via users in control panel.

The administrator account supposedly exisits but I can't force it to show. I downloaded tweakui but it listed no accounts in the login section.

Windows XP doesn't know who owns the files and folders you're trying to access. When copied them over they had ownerships, and permissions attached to them via NTFS resources. When you reinstalled XP the corresponding entries in the registry were lost, so Windows is clueless.

Even the Administrator cannot access resources he doesn't have permission to. However, he can change the ownership, and thereby gain access. This is what you want to do. Now... Here's the hiccup: Windows XP installs with Simple File Sharing (SFS) as the default permissioning system, and not the detailed Access Control List (ACL) method you want. Disabling SFS will ENABLE ACL, and that will provide the security tab you need. For some reason the ability to change ownerships on sub-folders doesn't seem to work all the time, or on everything. You just have to plod through the dialogues each time you encounter a folder you can't get into. If you still have a problem at this point, BOOT in SAFE MODE
and then you should be in business :)

It's working now - Admin (in safe mode) is taking over ownership.

Thanks for the help. This board is full of great (and quick) info.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back