Does vista have a set activation limit?

thepunkerguy

OSNN Junior Addict
I was wondering, out of curiosity. Does Vista have a set activation limit or has anyone had a problem activating it several times as long as you answer there questions 'correctly' when you call to activate it? I was wondering this because I do change my system a lot and reload it a lot being that i like to play with things and it would suck to activate it a few times and then them tell me i have to buy a new copy. I know with XP you could pretty much activate it as much as you wanted. Anyone have any real insight as to how this works with vista? Anyone hit their activation limit?
- Mike

As long as the hardware doesn't change significantly you should be ok, as far as I'm aware anyway. Although if you have got an upgrade version you have to install over an existing operating system, no being able to just put the cd of an earlier version into the drive when asked during the installation.

Ok, thats still a round about answer. I was just wondering if anyone had run into a problem activating it too many times yet. And that post referred to the retail version, i am wondering if that same thing refers to the oem version or if it has an activation limit. Its hard to find an exact answer!
- Mike

I second calling Microsoft. I doubt many people have had enough time to experience the need to reactivate, especially a number of times.

All of my product keys are VLK. I've installed and reinstalled in my test environment dozens of times.

As for retail keys, if the hardware remains constant then you shouldn't have any problems. Nothing much has changed between XP and Vista as far as activation goes (the method is still the same).

OEM may have different restrictions. Generally, OEM licenses are tied to the machine you install it on and are not transferable. I don't know if there is a set number of times you can activate/reactivate it. Retail versions, as mentioned/linked to, can be transferred from machine to machine and, as such, probably do not have a set limit. Activate it too many times in a short span of time however, and I'm sure you'll set off a red flag somewhere.

Also, keep in mind, that you can legally extend the "grace period" to activate windows using the command "slmgr.vbs -rearm" will add another 30 days to the grace period before you are forced to activate. I believe you can run the -rearm command up to 4 times

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back