Does this make sense to anyone here?!

Retro is cool, maybe that's it?

• Yes , makes perfect sense to me

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Nope, you've lost the plot - this is tooo weird!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I've done my share of builds and customisation - not a hard core modder, gamer or anything....

BUT the one that I have found the most satisfying of them all has been this:-

around Christmas a friend mentioned in passing that if I came by a PC they could have "for free" (IE ZERO spend!) then to let them know....

now before this I had already been in the habit of picking up machines I saw by the roadside discarded and lugging them home to canibalise (old memory sticks being premium price etc etc, plus just being slightly "green").... so I already had the odd NIC and 4GB HD floatin around.... then I came by a Tiny 600Mhz PII with memory intact, minus HD and optical and anything PCI, but with AGP and rest more or less OK, plus I had serial mouse and al cheapo keyboard.... anyway put bits together, swapped out floppy, added Modem and NIC card, threw in My old Edimax Router incase they get smart and go broadband; made the ONLY spend of £8.60 for optical drive plus mains lead and installed SUSE 10.... Voilá - a basically Free comptuer for my friend to dip their toes into new technology....

For some reason I find this far more "exciting" (or maybe "satisfying" is the right word) than my new X2 4200 with 2GB DDR upgrade reformatted....

Next to my recent re-acquisition of a turntable to play vinyl again after 20 years of lugging my vinyl around this is the most exciting thing to me just now, but it puzzles me, am I weird, or can anyone else here understand why this should be?

You hit the nail on the head when you said "satisfying".

That's probably why many people like to build their own PC's.

It is very satisfying. I am about to do something similar for a friend of mine.

I gave a machine the 911 assault with a screw driver, then beat the piss out of it with it's own PSU. But kept the RAM, HDD, NIC, and Processor as the rest was crap.

We go back a long ways. And it's demise allowed the entrance of my current machine. And I had nothing better to do while the database updated.

Steevo said:
I gave a machine the 911 assault with a screw driver, then beat the piss out of it with it's own PSU. But kept the RAM, HDD, NIC, and Processor as the rest was crap.

We go back a long ways. And it's demise allowed the entrance of my current machine. And I had nothing better to do while the database updated.
You need a nice relaxing hobby:eek: :laugh:

My towns transfer station is perfect for this, they have a huge dumpster type ting with shelves and stuff where people bring old computers, I found a 20" samsung lcd monitor there... Free... as well as hdds, psus, drives, processors, etc... never really did much with them, gave them to a friend to fiddle with. Kept the monitor though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back