Does my DC need more RAM?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
In the task Manager, on a saturday night, this DC is using 1100 in the Pagefile.

The DC is a Windows SBS2003 dell 1600SC with Xeon 2.8 dualcore with 768megs RAM.

Should I get more ram for this thing?

How much/What style of RAM does this 1600SC take? I will ask to just put in the max amount of RAM into it.

Thanks

Heeter

Whao!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished typing this post,

That was fast,

Thanks, KC

Heeter

In the task Manager, on a saturday night, this DC is using 1100 in the Pagefile.

The DC is a Windows SBS2003 dell 1600SC with Xeon 2.8 dualcore with 768megs RAM.

Should I get more ram for this thing?

How much/What style of RAM does this 1600SC take? I will ask to just put in the max amount of RAM into it.

Thanks

Heeter
all the pagefile report is telling you is how much new information has been in memory

the pagefile creates an address for information that doesn't exist on your hardrive or the network

for instance, if you launch a file, that info doesn't need any pagefile address since the os can retrieve any paged data directly from the file it came, however if you are writing and not saving that info does need a pagefile address

the more new work you create the more address space will be assigned to the pagefile

it doesn't matter how much memory you have, if you have new work the os will create an address in the pagefile for that new work...until an image is created somewhere on your network

once the address is made it will remain until you reboot

but I think you could get more memory anyway but don't expect to see less pagefile use, expect to see more

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Perris. Learned something new today.

But wouldn't mean if that more RAM is used, more pagefile is used, the more that this DC is going to be better performing in the day to day file server/ Domain controller duties it does do?

Heeter

Thanks for the info, Perris. Learned something new today.

But wouldn't mean if that more RAM is used, more pagefile is used, the more that this DC is going to be better performing in the day to day file server/ Domain controller duties it does do?

Heeter
the more memory the better you server is going to perform, the more info can remain in memory at any given time, bigger working sets, bigger standby list, quicker everything

just don't worry about how much pagefile is reported, that means nothing, as I said, when you have new info an address is created to the pagefile incase that new information needs to be swapped, it doesn't mean it gets swapped or even written, the os simply finds a spot for if the occasion arises

and as I said, if an image already exists there is no pagefile address, nothing gets written to disc because the info is already there

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back