does my cpu support 64bits?

unknown_user

i recently got a laptop but i dont know if it has 64bits capability

heres a pic with cpu-z: http://img265.echo.cx/my.php?image=cpuz9vs.jpg

in the box it says athlon xp but when i open cpuz it says athlon 64 codename clawhammer

in cpuz dosent says x86 but system information does: http://img187.echo.cx/my.php?image=systeminfo4qv.jpg

i ask a friend and he said that its an athlon 64 but the manufacture underclock it to sell it cheaper

so my question is can i install windows xp pro 64bits? its my laptop able to run 64bits programs?

themafia.69 said:
clawhammer is 64 bit
i know but if you look down when it says specification it says athlon xp and athlon xp is 32 bits and on my computer properties it says athlon xp

Thats weird!

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 165
What does the manufacturer say? The bios says it's an HP. Check the HP site for the make and model.

They probably underclocked it to extend battery life.

"Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M Processor 3000 Plus with PowerNow!™ Technology" From radio shack page.

Details on the xp-m 3000:
AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 3000+ (DTR) Barton 266MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXMA3000FKT4C

64 bit Support: No
Hyper-Transport Support: No
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 512KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
Process Type: 0.13 µm
Series: Athlon XP Mobile
Voltage: 1.65V
Model #: AXMA3000FKT4C

LeeJend said:
"Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M Processor 3000 Plus with PowerNow!™ Technology" From radio shack page.

Details on the xp-m 3000:
AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 3000+ (DTR) Barton 266MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXMA3000FKT4C

64 bit Support: No
Hyper-Transport Support: No
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 512KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
Process Type: 0.13 µm
Series: Athlon XP Mobile
Voltage: 1.65V
Model #: AXMA3000FKT4C
are you sure thats my pc? cause in cpuz says that its socket 754 and the operating system frequency(without the powernow) its 1.6 not 2.2 and my L2 cache its 256 not 512

well now im really confused. i download everest home edition and it says:
cpu type:mobile amd sempron 1600+
cpu alias:newcastle socket 754
cpuid cpu name:amd athlon xp processor 3000+

first it says that its a sempron, the it says that the alias its newcastle(newcastle is the alias of a amd athlon 64 cpu) and then it says that it an xp processor...
and in the instruction set it says x86(if im not wrong thats the instruction for 64bits)

btw athlon xp's are socket A and all the apps that i had download says that i got a socket 754. im guessing that its what my friends said that its a athlon 64 cpu underclocked fot better cooling and more battery life

Last edited:
There is a brain dead version of the socket 754 chip that is classified as a Sempron. It has the 64 bit extensions turned off so it won't run 64 BIT code. You could have one of those and that is why all the CPU ID programs are having fits identifying it.

x86 indicates it runs the old Intel 16 & 32 bit instruction set. There is another designation for chips that run the AMD developed 64 bit extensions.

As for "am I sure that's your PC". I went to the radio shack link you posted for your PC. What is the actual make and model number off of the label?

LeeJend said:
There is a brain dead version of the socket 754 chip that is classified as a Sempron. It has the 64 bit extensions turned off so it won't run 64 BIT code. You could have one of those and that is why all the CPU ID programs are having fits identifying it.

x86 indicates it runs the old Intel 16 & 32 bit instruction set. There is another designation for chips that run the AMD developed 64 bit extensions.

As for "am I sure that's your PC". I went to the radio shack link you posted for your PC. What is the actual make and model number off of the label?
i have a doubt, why does it runs an old intel instruction set if its an amd processor?

and what about the codename? clawhammer and newcastle are athlon 64 codenames

this is my pc: HP® Pavilion zv5434rs
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F006%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=25%2D369

• Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M Processor 3000 Plus with PowerNow!™ Technology
• Processor speed: 1.6GHz
• Processor Cache: 256KB L2 Cache
• Bus Speed: up to 1600MHz
• Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM (2x256MB) at 333MHz; maximum memory 1280MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB, 1x1024MB)
• Accessible memory slots: one
• Video graphics and video memory: NVIDIA GeForce 4 420 Go with 32MB DDR (dedicated)
• Hard drive: 60GB (4200 RPM)
• 24x DVD/CD-RW combo drive
• Display: 15.0" XGA TFT (1024x768)

Last edited:
I'd say just put the win64 disc in and if it says you can't install your question will be answered

tzepp@cox.net said:
I'd say just put the win64 disc in and if it says you can't install your question will be answered
well i cant

1. cause i have to buy it, i cant upgrade my version of XP Pro cause its not legal

2.i have a windows xp home legal but xp64 its just a upgrade for the professional edition

so i got to buy windows xp pro 64, but if my pc dosent accept 64 apps then im wasting my money

Ok Intel invited the x86 instruction set run's most of the computers so AMD has to use that as well to be able to run. Has for the problem above I'm guessing you manged to get the oddball AMD since all of the tools tried give different results

man this is messed.

• Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M Processor 3000 Plus with PowerNow!™ Technology

YET:

• Bus Speed: up to 1600MHz

why not call HP and ask them?

Support for Phone number
800-HP invent or 800-474-6836

Hours of operation
24 hours a day, 7 days a
week for most products

Down load this and find out...

This one is newer than the one that Admiral Michael posted. Gives more info.

AMD CPU ID (see attachment)

[edit]actually it is a different one. :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back