does my cpu support 64bits?

Well it sounds like the users are not smart enough to configure the XP firewall then, since it is really the major change change, don't you? I've never seen this so called common problem, and I have installed SP a variety of machines in a variety of configurations. I'm not saying there are not any problems with SP2, but I have yet to see one, and if I did have one, I'm pretty sure I could determine the cause and fix it. Do you have a point?

Do I have a point ? Yes I do SP2 is not the the answer to everything it is a source of problems hey if you are that smart fix it , I told you the problem and before you keep acting like your smarter then me , the problem is not the firewall because it is turned off and told not to moniter that LAN , this problem is with cable modems and sp2 in other words a direct connection to the net . You have not heard about it sorry but I was not aware you were the center of the universe. Seeing as I hear about it 10 times a day as a support tech for Canada's fastest cable internet provider might be a clue that it is a real problem, saying everyone is stupid and that your smart seems a little unfair. Your the one who say oh by the way you need to update I say it can lead to problems , the point is he dont need to update to sp2 and the big change in sp2 was the DEP not the firewall. So seeing as you are the smart one and all the other people are too stupid to fix it figure it out and by the way NETSH dont fix it.

Well, the only thing then is to do the logical thing. Does it work with a router instead of a direct connection? If it does then the problem is actually with the modem, don't you think? If it is somehow DEP related you can disable that in boot.ini. Maybe this is limited to the modem your company provides, as I haven't seen it here in the states or even heard of this problem.

Well they use a few different modems one being a Linksys wi-fi , motorola , scientific atlanta .

Sounds like a modem problem to me.

I did some consulting work Adelphia about 2 years ago and their biggest problems were docsis 1 modems.

And was there a solution a work around? Any links to documents that talk about the docsis modems that you are talking about.

Soooo, when did this thread get derailed?

I think the answer to the question put to everyone has been posted numerous times now.

So enough of the who's dumb and who isn't for updating or not.

Please keep it civil and on a side note. Yes many many people out there don't know how to configure many many parts of their computers. That's why there are a variety of tech support places/people. That why soooo many have automatic update on, cause it's the default setting. So many do have to update to SP2 because after april XX of this year there was no way of getting around it if the auto update was on. We know lots a shiit about our computers. But we are still out numbered by people that don't know anything except turning the damn thing on, surfin da web or listening to music or watchin videos or DVDs by tenfold.

So if ya work in the tech support section, you have a lifetime job. That's if ya don't kill yerself or someone else first. :p

Soooo, again, keep it civil or I take yer toys away and close the thread.

Please :)

Kermit_The_Frog said:
And was there a solution a work around? Any links to documents that talk about the docsis modems that you are talking about.

I wish I had documentation, but that was private business documents. Basically it came down to the fact that their modems couldn't communicate correctly on the server side and therefore never let people out of their DMZ (or "walled garden")

hehe. We have a policy here at Coreix: "You will install the latest service pack for your windows OS. you will install all updates from MS. We will charge you both arms and legs to put it right if you dont"

It's similar for our unix clients too.

Excpet its worded alot more professionally that I typed it here :)

LordOfLA said:
hehe. We have a policy here at Coreix: "You will install the latest service pack for your windows OS. you will install all updates from MS. We will charge you both arms and legs to put it right if you dont"

It's similar for our unix clients too.

Excpet its worded alot more professionally that I typed it here :)
Good policy.
laugh.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back