does it annoy anyone else (half life 2)_

im installing the game now so i need to say this before my jaw drops. It pisses me off that i shell out 55 bucks for a great game and the game comes with 5 cds in sleaves.... i want a Danm jewl case!. hehe ok..

Or more to the point why do they even bother releasing it on cd at all? who really these days (who can play the game on their pc) hasnt got a dvd drive????

nuff said

there's always something to complain about - ever seen the packaging on an iPod? Some say work of art..... I say waste of space!

Or more to the point why do they even bother releasing it on cd at all? who really these days (who can play the game on their pc) hasnt got a dvd drive????

lol i dont have a working one.. hehe need to buy a dvd burner/reader but just not alot of use for one yet media is too expensive for me.

I don't have Half Life 2 so I can't say exactly how it's packaged but I've seen this too many times already.

I have to agree with being peeved at what I consider cheap@$$ packaging. The software companies want us to shell out our money and throw a lot into the creation of the games and the marketing of them yet they can't even package them in a semi-protective way.

You finally get a game home and what are you stuck with? A game consisting of 5 install CDs in paper sleeves inside a cardboard box. And, of course, they copy protect the games so you can't make backups in the event your CD so protectively contained in a paper sleeve gets scratched. So now it is your responsibility to safely store away the game after it's installed or, if you are like me, you now grab the appropriate number of jewel cases that you buy in bulk whenever you see the cheap sales in the weekend flyers. And, of course, I do all of this while cursing under my breath.

rotjong

you can always make a backup of a game, if u cant thats what warez or cracks are for, as long as u own the original they cant do or say anything to u, u have the legal right to backup ur software

i just played for 40 mins... i retrack everything i said.. (jaw whide open) OMG 40 million and 2 years of making this game.. god they paid off....

that's why steam makes sense...no cds, no need to keep a cd key, good anti piracy. oh, and yeah hl2 was well worth the wait.

I have mine on a jewel case and on a DVD. :D

that's why steam makes sense...no cds, no need to keep a cd key, good anti piracy. oh, and yeah hl2 was well worth the wait.

it still asks me for my cd? i would of figured it woudnt need that.. allthough it was the first time i ran it.. and i just havent takken it out yet.. hmm.

i have the downloaded version on steam...i dunno about the cd or dvd version. but i don't have any cds.

sraycoz said:
it still asks me for my cd? i would of figured it woudnt need that.. allthough it was the first time i ran it.. and i just havent takken it out yet.. hmm.

Yes you'll still need the CD/DVD if you got a retail version. Theres a lot of bitching about it in the steam forums about requiring the CD for retail purchases and not requiring it with steam purchases. Doesn't make sense requiring it since the purchase itself is tied to our account.

i'm kinda thinkin about tryin to find if there's a No-CD crack or something out on the net somewhere, or trying to make an image of my DVD and trying a virtual drive. would probably kinda speed up loading times between map sections.

and yep, the wait was well worth it. i just don't like how much they changed in the game since the E3 videos and stuff. Alyx doesn't seem to show up in some of the scenes where she did at E3. That section from the TrapTown video is no longer in the game (or i just haven't found it yet). Crossbow absolutely rules though. i mean come on, you can't beat red hot rebar for a bolt. and pinning people to the wall is also a plus.

if people complain enough they will have an update for steam. in the meantime you should use alcohol 120 to image the dvd and as a virtual drive...it works wonders.

kinda speed up loading times between map sections.

i would figure that the only time it would make a diff is when its first looking for it? seeing that the game is on the hardrive not the disk.

on another tangent though i must really extend my thanks to Valve in making this game so much less power hungry than farcry or doom 3 type games. I mean in my opinion this game looks a hell of alot better than doom 3 ( open spaces!) and far cry (farcry gets the gold in water effects still though). I cant really sting thoughts together lol damn shcool and games not likeing eachother lol. im just saying that man this game seems to be ahell of alot more optimized than anything else.

yeah, the best part of half life 2 is its engine. it's a hell of a lot more efficient than the doom 3 engine, and it looks much better. the great part is that almost any computer with a geforce 3 or higher can run it with decent frame rates. in due time too, it took them many years to develop this.

so is half life 2 on dvd as well? or just 4 cds?

I think a DVD would have ben much better.

Collectors Edition is on DVD. normal is on 5 CD's. even so, after you install it with the CD's, you can use Steam to make a backup of the files for HL2 and put it on DVD.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back