Does high speed DSL include an AOL type service or is it not needed ?

V

veronica

Does it include the cost of the phone line ?
How much does it cost for everything together ?
Thanks

dsl providers also provide internet access as part of your association.

in other words, if you enroll with dsl, you will be able to get rid of your aol

I cannot believe aol is still inbusiness

Usually, it doesn't include the cost of a line. If you already have a line, you won't have to get one. If you don't...wow it starts getting expensive. DSL in my area, once you have bought the line, accessories, and connection, will run a total of about $63. And all this is for a 768Kb line.

Oh yeah, and AOL is a totally unecessary service. You can replace it with a favorites folder, a messaging client (like MSN or AOL instant messenger), and the numerous free popup blockers scattered all over the internet.

It just uses your regular phone line, but you will be able to make calls. If SBC is in your area they have a $29.99 deal going all the time with free equipment.

I had MSN DSL for about two months and got rid of it. I had to use the MSN 8 software to access the internet, as it wouldn't let me use other browsers. It also wouldn't connect unless I had both 1st and 3rd party cookies open. You have to have an ISP that is contracted with your DSL (Quest) service. It is $40 a month here, the same as cable. If you download allot I'd go with cable as its three times faster the DSL. There is also allot of disconnect problems that I experienced with DSL. It looks like MSN, AOL, and Earthlink offer DSL here, BUT you have to run their software :mad:

Watch the fine print with the "deals" as they will try to hook you in a 1 year contract and then after 5 months or the first year the $29.95 goes up to $39.95. Usually the modem is sent out to you free (MSN DSL) but if you cancel before the year contract is up you'll have to pay the for modem which is about $100.00. Of course you can buy your own modem.

Originally posted by dealer

well what can i say to disturb you a little more mate.

I got a phonecall from a ladie friend up in the hill's saying AOL just rang her and said as she was the highest net user in the area they were ringing her 1st to offer the new DSL rollout in there area. they offerd her free upgrade, told her to scrap the 2nd phone line as it's no longer needed, & it wont cost any more for 10 times the net speed that way. (it's actually true, free activation, modem)
she accepted, but i dont blame her, just cant get the free activation at the mo, after my shock at the thought of AOL on DSL connection i wept :(

i pray they bring out the new connection method (normal dial up box) soon.:confused:

Originally posted by dealer

Me either. AOL sux like a cheap hooker.

agree. AOL sucks. The last thing anyone should want to do is load the crap software on your computer. If you do you'll be coming back to NTFS asking how to get rid of the it on your PC.
- A couple years ago I got AOL free for a year after buying my first PC through Gateway. After the year was up I called AOL "twice" to confirm that I didn't want to continue with them so they wouldn't start charging me. 6 months later...... I'm looking at my end of the month statement from my bank (which I normally don't) and I see AOL had been decucting $21 out of my account for 6 months, and the pisser was they said they could only reimburse me for three months because of there policy! :mad:

I used to do tech support for AOL. Bunch of dirty *******s. lol.

I used to do tech support for MSN, and they're equally bad. Dialup is bad in general. It's just that soooooo many things can go wrong with it. Well, with Windows 95/98/Me anyway. I almost never got calls from Win2k/XP users.

/me runs away holding an Aol flag

aol2.gif

:eek: :p

Basically, it's the choice between two monopolies for me -- either Verizon or Comcast. One of the reasons I went with DSL was that I could install it myself, and there was installation fee. I got the first month for ~$30, but the usual price is ~$35. Since it's Verizon it is right on my phone bill and I can pay both at once.

MSN software came with the CD they mailed me, I told it not to install that. All you really need to do is set your home page to your ISP's web site, just in case any problems arise you can find answers to your questions. You don't need any sort of service like AOL or MSN.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back