does anyone use Active Smart?

hey does anyone i9n here use active smart. great little hardrive monitoring tool. just wondering if it has acually saved anyone from data loss.

yep i have 5 drives, so wen 1 started clunking i ran active smart and it kinda went WOAAAA THATS FOOOOKED

i also have 1 that it says is suffering, but im putting that to the test.... see if it dies wen it says it will :)

cool if it does post back here :) . i get a seek error on one of mine. but i think its because im downloading alot to it. what you think Gonzo.

does the error go up as well as down, if thats the case, then dont worry too much till it gets to the T.E.C date.

yah not a constant thing by any means maybe happened 3 times in the last 2 days.

added a pic of what smart is giving me.

Gonzo what does TEC date mean.

Last edited:
sraycoz, mover your cursor over a space in that column where the date is. a tooltip comes up telling you everything about it

T.E.C. date - the date of predicted Threshold Exceeded Condition (T.E.C.) for current attribute, i.e. it is a rough estimate date when attribute value will drop below its threshold.
Active SMART uses special algorithms to predict the date of the T.E.C. for every S.M.A.R.T. attribute. To maximize accuracy of the date prediction Active SMART shows the T.E.C. date for attribute only after two changes of it's value. It allows us as much as possible increase the date calculation accuracy. Note: This date is not an exact drive fail date, it's only estimated date and it should be used only as advisory data.

thats from the help guide :)

so.. is this telling me that my drive is going to fail within the month? hmm.

added another screen shot of it..

Last edited:
well.... no clue about that, but if it was i don't think it would be saying your drive is OK, now would it?

yah me too... its just that i lost 3 drives within 2 months... 2 within a week ( i blame it on a bad power supply since which i have replaced....)

so i am very edgy. lol.

heh. don't power supply faults/limitations suck? That's how i lost my GeForce 4 Ti4200. Power Supply in my Sony Vaio wasn't NEAR powerful enough to maintain it. *sniff* will always miss it. *thinks* wait, i have a 5700 now...... :)

yes in the last 4 years i have lost two mobos to cheap PSU's they suck indeed.

hopefully everything is ok with the drive... im sick of dealing with them. lol you dont know loss untill you lose 300 gigs worth of info with only 50 gigs backed up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back