Does 8rda+ report temps higher or lower?

D

Digerati

I have an Epox 8rda+ with the latest bios and was just wondering if this board tends to report cpu temps higher or lower than actual temperatures?

The 8RDA tends to report the temps between 5-10 degrees lower than they actually are, even up to 15 degrees lower in some circumstances :eek:

Originally posted by jumpy
The 8RDA tends to report the temps between 5-10 degrees lower than they actually are, even up to 15 degrees lower in some circumstances :eek:

Really? :eek:
Are you sure?

Yes :)

Info is from overclockers australia forums, but no linky because you have to be a member to view their forums.

so where else would I find that info if not on those forums? I'd like to know the same thing about my board too

The reason boards like the 8RDA read temperatures wrongly is because they don't use the athlon's on-die thermistor to measure temps. Instead they use a socket thermistor which can often be out by a few degrees. 15 degrees is a bit extreme and perhaps exaggerated but definitely the error is in the vicinity of 5 degrees+. The only way to get a real temperature reading is to buy your own thermal probe.

Anyone know any nforce2 mobos thatdo you the athlonxp's on die thermistor?

Originally posted by jumpy
The reason boards like the 8RDA read temperatures wrongly is because they don't use the athlon's on-die thermistor to measure temps. Instead they use a socket thermistor which can often be out by a few degrees. 15 degrees is a bit extreme and perhaps exaggerated but definitely the error is in the vicinity of 5 degrees+. The only way to get a real temperature reading is to buy your own thermal probe.

Ah I see... no wonder when I overclock my XP2100+ to 2GHz, the temps show as 36°C load. Must be at least mid-40s. Thanks for the info! :D
You might have just saved my CPU!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back