Dodgy wireless network

Moonwraith

OSNN Veteran Addict
Hey ya
I'm running a wireless network in my house. Lovely old belkin, can't tell you any of the model numbers off the top of my head but it's a 54g set up (a 54g adsl router - 1 user connected through cable and 3 users by pci 54g wireless cards) and recently my brother's added a pcmia 802.11b card and since adding this onto the network it all seems to be dying a bit more frequently. Anyone know what might cause this?

Also the connection in my room sucks. I mean, it'll say it's connected but actually isn't. It sends packets but does not receive any and makes its own mind up whether or not to work. Any reason why/how to improve signal or at least some proper signal?

Frankly it's pissing me off.

Cheers for all your help if anyone knows anything.

Hi pal

I also use a Belkin router/modem. Its generally reliable and only needs the odd reset. I have 2 PC's wired and 1 PC & 1 Laptop on wireless.

One thing that could be causing the problems with this particualr model is the settings. I have mine set to '11g' only, but there are other settings you may wish to try, bearing in mind you are using a 11b card:

Wireless Modes
1. Mixed (11b & 11g)
2. Long Range mix (11b & 11g)
3. 11g only
4. 11b only

Hope it helps

Well it was set up as 11b and 11g :up: but cheers (hadn't actually looked in that section heh) Moved it onto long range in case that'll help things at all.

And you know what the G Nitro is?

Moonwraith said:
Hey ya
I'm running a wireless network in my house. Lovely old belkin, can't tell you any of the model numbers off the top of my head but it's a 54g set up (a 54g adsl router - 1 user connected through cable and 3 users by pci 54g wireless cards) and recently my brother's added a pcmia 802.11b card and since adding this onto the network it all seems to be dying a bit more frequently. Anyone know what might cause this?

Also the connection in my room sucks. I mean, it'll say it's connected but actually isn't. It sends packets but does not receive any and makes its own mind up whether or not to work. Any reason why/how to improve signal or at least some proper signal?

Frankly it's pissing me off.

Cheers for all your help if anyone knows anything.

Dont forget Belkin make a 802.11b/g aerial extender in place of the one with wireless cards to increase signal strength for the furthest PC from Base.

Tweakfiend said:
Dont forget Belkin make a 802.11b/g aerial extender in place of the one with wireless cards to increase signal strength for the furthest PC from Base.
Really? Well at the best of times the belkiin site is down, but i'll try check stuff out. Ta

G Nitro, Super G, Speed Boost are models named by different manufacturers that allow you to have connection rates of up to 108mbps. Obviously, you'd need to have compatible wireless adapters/cards on the computer in order to make use of the extra bandwidth.

btw, i doubt you'd need an aerial extender coz i've been connected to my friend's belkin wireless router even though i walked about 30m away from his building.

the thing about the router stalling, however, my friend said it happens occasionally and affects the wireless side only (not wired side). he thinks this happens because of heavy downloads over a short period of time. it's probably overheating inside.

Yup - have to agree it is ALWAYS the wireless side that goes tits up and need a reset, the hard wire is very dependable.

Yeah my dad's computer is fine. I'm at the other side of the house and up a floor. It shouldn't really bother it much, but generally i get 5.5mbps to 11mbps (at a push) and i dunno why it sucks so much:(

I'm really stuck as to what would make the connection suck so much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back