Documents and Settings

crono_logical

Bird Eater
How would I go about moving this off C:\ and sticking it on another partition with more free space? It would make backing up easier for me too.

What about other special folders like %APPDATA% that TweakUI doesn't seem to offer to let you move?

Why not just move/install apps in another partition instead?
I'm sure this would be a better solution.

I install all apps on another partition already. I want to move the Documents and Settings folder where all the user data is though off the XP home drive.

I don't think you have Admin Tools in the Home version.
Otherwise you might be able to play around with user settings in the computer management console.

Ah, interesting, I never spotted that in Users before, thanks :p I guess that's a temporary solution though, it doesn't move the entire folder with all the users (including the system ones and the All Users one) which is what I'd prefer.

Better forget about moving the entire Documents and Settings folder to another partition. You can move the My Documents folders and some others without any problem, but not the entire directory.

There is a way, never tried it and never will, but it implies to edit several hundred registry keys - don't forget a single one of it. As a matter of fact important parts of the registry, the user hives, are stored within Documents and Settings.

From what I can see... if you go to: Admin Tools> Computer Management> Local Users and Groups> Users... right click your username, then Properties, then click the Profile tab, you should be able to change the path of it.

I've never tried moving my docs+settings folder before so I can't give you any further information.

What about All Users, at the very least then? Seeing as your desktop and start menu items seem to be taken out of both the current user's and the All Users' items. There's probably important appdata stuff in there too.

You can try changing it as Guests/Admins properties....
As I mentioned before, I've never tried before.. so this will be at your own risk.

I usually Copy mine over to my other hard drive before I format. Easier than backing up on cd and stuff.

Oh ya and as for the Partition thing use any partitioning program like partition magic to make your Fat 32 to NTFS?

I could also use convert from the command prompt, but since I need the partition readable in Win98 as well, no can do :p

I, myself, just redirected the "My Documents" link in the start menu to the network drive. Just right click on "My Documents", properties, and move target to where ever you want. All the "My music" and whatever else will all move there as well. I use XPHome.

Heeter

Heeter said:
I, myself, just redirected the "My Documents" link in the start menu to the network drive. Just right click on "My Documents", properties, and move target to where ever you want. All the "My music" and whatever else will all move there as well. I use XPHome.

Heeter
Changing the 'My Documents' folder location doesn't do much because you can also set the default save location on the apps anyway. What Chrono wants is to be able to save all his/her user(s) settings/profile on to another partition.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back