Do you think we need to start a political thread spot?

Would a spot for political motivated or charged threads be nice?

• Yes i think a seperate political spot would be nice.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Green room is fine.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • shut up VenomXt

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
Well if it becomes a reality it has to follow guidelines in the nature of no flaming of any kind, no off topic stupidity (unless the thread is getting really really dull, then a wisecrack or two... only) and no, absolutly no pushing of one's beliefs on others. Make points as to what you feel/beleive/think but that's it. Don't try to forcefeed it to everyone. No preaching (I'm in trouble). [/quote]

oops...perris hit edit instead of quote again...bad perris, bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Sazar said:
There will be strict guidelines enforced to prevent flaming.
Who'll moderator this section and enforce these strict guidelines? I hate political threads and never (unless reported) read them.

I would mod them if you could make it so I couldn't post in them. :p

I voted yes for a seperate grouping but it doesn't really matter to me personally, since there aren't all that many politically charged debates happening. The odd 1 or 2 shows up in the Green Room group the odd time which usually attracts attention from the same 4-8 people. Flaming is pretty hard to avoid as people's 'feelings' get ruffled and tempers, scarcasm & whatever else start to run rampant... which is to be expected I guess.
As for no 'personal flaming' towards others, what's the difference between this and 'flaming' someone's country, government or someone's favorite choice in software etc... because a 'personal attack' can be defended by the offended person & the 'flaming' software, country's policies etc, cannot be defended by their authors or officials? Obvious, excessive, over-the-top flaming could be disputed bye certain individuals as their tolerance levels for such may be different for each individual that reads the posts in such a group. It'd be hard to moderate such a group without deterring people from posting due the strict guidelines of the site.

At the same time it is also interesting to see people's view points on global matters. IF it could be kept "civilized" (again, this term is subject to dispute), it would be a good idea.

If such a grouping passes the vote and the admins start one, then great. If it doesn't then I'm there are some people here that have their own forums for people to discuss global matters... I for one wouldn't mind discussion about global matters on my forums.

I vote no,seen places that aready have this and no matter how many times people are told it ends up as nothing but bickering.
Even now when there's that kind of thread made here comments are edited, deleted, people warned and take no notice whatsoever to the rules.
Always seems to turn people into aggressive morons :rolleyes:

gonaads said:
Well if it becomes a reality it has to follow guidelines in the nature of no flaming of any kind, no off topic stupidity (unless the thread is getting really really dull, then a wisecrack or two... only) and no, absolutly no pushing of one's beliefs on others. Make points as to what you feel/beleive/think but that's it. Don't try to forcefeed it to everyone. No preaching (I'm in trouble).

oops...perris hit edit instead of quote again...bad perris, bad[/QUOTE]

I guess we will have to bann perris from it then lol .. Just kidding Perris lol.

I saw BBq somewhere ? man I love bbq's, I'll bring the beer ..

Jewelzz said:
Who'll moderator this section and enforce these strict guidelines? I hate political threads and never (unless reported) read them.

There is no need for aditional mods just for an extension of the Green room I don't think.

There are at least 3 or 4 mods who frequent the threads as it is and self-regulation should account for the remainder.

The threads we have had thus far on topics have not had nasty repurcusions and some of the more controversial threads (ie the Schiavo thread) were closed when the topic had run its course.

In the other forum I frequent, there's a politics/religion forum and a light-hearted forum like this.

Be forewarned: the politics/religion forum became an awful lot to handle, and the mods typically worked the hardest to keep that place in line. Plus, once you start talking politics and religion, you typically start developing enemies...lol.

Just think about the consequences before you decide to do it, that's all. This place is one of the most cordial forums I know currently, and a politics/religion forum may very well change that. Who knows.

(Oh and if you want someone to mod a forum like that, I'll volunteer if you're interested. :p )

Melon

SAZAR If you are claiming to be Texan now (even partly) the proper usage is:

"After, free chili for all."

Yes - and the only one that can post there is Perris!:lick:

damnyank said:

Yes - and the only one that can post there is Perris!:lick:

The hell! Perris would take over the damn thread. :p

Maybe I should go and edit one of his posts... by accident. :rolleyes: *runs*

I like how this is a little more than just a tech forum... but the further it moves from being a tech forum the further I want to move from it. I think a political forum is not the right thing for this place. I already frequent this place less and less because more and more of the posts have nothing to do with technology. I am a super moderator on a forum that has nearly 50,000 members (MSFN.org) and I feel sorry for the moderators here if a political forum comes about. You will find that pages fill up in a matter of hours, and it will create a great deal of hatred between members. Some people will spend more time there creating rebuttals than helping the people who came here for tech help. I think it's a bad idea... but I'm just one person. :)

lol man i hate to see people split about this. The only reason i recommended it is this forum allread has its fair share of posts. The fact is (in my opinion) that making a seperat thread for these posts would let people who dont want to be drawn into any political discussion avoid them no matter what label the post gets. I love this forum and i love it because its not just tech. If i was i would be here about 9/10th less.

Nope, it would ruin the feeling of the forums here. As of now, we have a tech forum of ppl that for the most part keep their cool. If there was a politcal thread, people would be mean and no longer helpful to others that might have upset them in the politcal thread. The only kind of heat around here should the kind you get off an intel CPU. Keep the peace, vote no on Prop. T

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back