• Thread starter Cannibal Corpse
  • Start date
C

Cannibal Corpse

CenDyne
CDI CD 00106 [2x1x6 DVD-R/RW]
Internal IDE DVD-R/RW Drive for PC

http://www.cendyne.com/product.asp?pid=3

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...&me=standard&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

I am totally a n00bie to the DVD-RW world, so I would REALLY appreciate it if you help me out with these questions:

1 - What is the current/latest 'generation' of DVD-RW drives?

2 - What feaures should I be looking for in a DVD-RW?

3 - How much is the price of the blanc DVD-R, DVD-RW Media nowadays?

They sell this DVD-RW drive at a local OfficeMAX for $219 ($260 - $50 Mail-In Rebate). Does PIONEER actually make these drives?

4 - Is is it a good deal? A good drive? If not, would you recommend something that YOU think is best?

5 - Should I go with name brands like SONY, PIONEER, etc.

I would be using this for back-ups and some home movies.

Many thanks in advance.

Just presently... theres too many problems with the DVD RW world.

A standard has not been set up so you might have a new Beta in your hands.

Sit out the DVD war as you don't want to be sitting pretty with an obsolete drive.

If you really must get a DVD RW drive. Give Sony's new combination drive a try. It supports DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RAM. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

In case you don't know... there are 3 DVD RW standards.

DVD-R(W) (Plays in normal DVD players most of the time.)
DVD-RAM (It only comes as RW and doesn't play in normal DVD players)
DVD+R(W) (SOME DVD players can play this most don't)

DVD+RW and DVD-RW are the big players at the moment with DVD-RAM being the least popular.

A new standard called DVD BluRay is coming soon with a humungous storage capacity. Uses a blue laser instead of a red laser.

Alternatives, backup onto normal CD-R's and RW's. Encode SVCD or use DivX for HomeVideos.

Just get the Sony DRU-500A/AX does -all- the formats so you don't have to worry about format wars.:cool:

Yes that's a good drive. It probably is a Pioneer A04, or if you're lucky the newer A05 (sometimes) at Office Max. Open the Cendyne box it has a Pioneer sticker on the drive. Also -R discs can now be had for less than a dollar.

The Pioneer is your best bet, if you peruse the DVD forums many Sony owners are reporting all sorts of software/hardware problems.

I would go for DVD+RW. IMHO it's the better standard of the three. Most modern DVD players should be able to handle them afaik. Also MS has taken sides in the "conflict". They went for DVD+RW.

Buying this drive myself

Have a look at the specs for this drive NEC ND-1100SRP DVD+R/DVD+RW ...its cheaper than the sony and is multi format >DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-Video, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA.

Priced at £173.05 @ CCL Computers UK

Thanks Tony
Impressive website.
DVD+R/RW, -R/RW is really the only way to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back