Do You Leave Your System On for days?

I usually can't be bothered to turn my box off, its pretty muchly always on, but never seems to have a really high uptime because im always re-booting it for some reason or other :)

If you're interested in uptimes and/or keeping a record of them have a read of this

XP Abuser, use hybernate.

hybernate > stand by

geez, and i thought that my laptops uptime was pretty impressive at 87days, 17hours, 22minutes, 28seconds. but that's nothing from you guys :)

Whoah, a laptop with an uptime like that's nothing to be ashamed of!!

Laptop's aren't really designed for extended periods of uptime, and I know I have restart my Toshiba 1500 every few days because something goes wrong.

haha that's kind of funny, my laptop is a Toshiba 1800. guess that extra 300 is for extended periods of use :)

Bah whoops I mean 1550 ;) I think the 1800's are a bit older than a 1550.

From 16th September when I came to uni, i've had four restarts in that time. I don't like leaving my PC off, keep it downloading through the night!

It does seem louder, especially when my gfx card fan comes on and wakes me up :(

downloading continually (or is that continuously??). Can be on for anything up to a month at a time with only the occasional reboot.

TOK

Power on and off

One thing to know.
Each time you turn your computer on
(not reboot but from off to on), you
send many electric parasites into your
motherboard and every electric piece of
your computer receive these parasites.
Thats the most dangerous fact with
upvolting that can damage the pieces of your computer.
Keep it alive without turning off will prevent from this problem.
Having a good power block reduce voltage problems.

Yes VonGlugner but this depends of so many factors .. in fact those with frequent upgrades on their system will not worry about that .. ( I've upgraded my mobo from " the start " three times and no problem with them ) ..

Ontopic : never let my pc alone over 1 hour .. don't lie ! :)

Originally posted by XP Abuser
well do you??:D

yes, I read that the electrical shock provided to your motherboard every time you turn on your computer is bad....

thus, if you find yourself turning your computer on and back off more than two times a day, you 'd better leave it on....

the only time that i power on more than twice a day is if it crashes. and that doesn't happen that often, well, if it knows what's good for it it doesn't.

In the year or so that I have had my current setup, I have turned the power off twice. Once to upgrade video card and once to put a new burner in.

I reboot once a week on Monday mornings b/c my scheduled defrag and virus scans run from 3am until about 7am or so. And of course I also reboot after any software installs.

By this method, Since I began using XP around October 2001, my computer has not crashed once. No blue screens, no lock ups, nothing. Of course this doesn't mean I haven't screwed it up real good a couple times. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jahya
In the year or so that I have had my current setup, I have turned the power off twice. Once to upgrade video card and once to put a new burner in.

I reboot once a week on Monday mornings b/c my scheduled defrag and virus scans run from 3am until about 7am or so. And of course I also reboot after any software installs.

By this method, Since I began using XP around October 2001, my computer has not crashed once. No blue screens, no lock ups, nothing. Of course this doesn't mean I haven't screwed it up real good a couple times. :rolleyes:

real amasing....

I am sincerely impressed.

while that shows how stable winXP is, it leaves me wondering about your activity on the computer :

how many hours per day ???

do you work behind your machine or just for fun ???

I was thinking about that too. Usually, if I run my PC just for music and internet, it never crashes or needs reboots.

However, if I start tinkering with Visual Basic, :::cough cough illegal cough::: programs, and more complicated programs, like Merlin 3D, Bryce 5, sometimes, it will die on me :) I perform too many tasks at one time, it's not my ram, it's the CPU speed. :)

Originally posted by Nick M
I was thinking about that too. Usually, if I run my PC just for music and internet, it never crashes or needs reboots.

However, if I start tinkering with Visual Basic, :::cough cough illegal cough::: programs, and more complicated programs, like Merlin 3D, Bryce 5, sometimes, it will die on me :) I perform too many tasks at one time, it's not my ram, it's the CPU speed. :)

Yup ,

Same Here,

I sometimes surprise myself with about 11 programs all running at the same time....

LOL

and I wonder, am I getting to be a freak or what ???

simple stuff, but yes, processor and ram are real important then :

IE6, OE6, Photoshop, Front Page, Flash, NetMeeting, Messenger, Yahoo msn, Word, WordPad, NotePad, NoteTab, EditPlus, SSH, WS FTP, Realplayer, and so many other things....

LOL

I think I have a problem....

Right Nick ?`???

If you think running all that is crazy...I have an even longer list that I am too lazy to type. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back