do you guys think upgrading my procc is worth it..

ok. I have a Abit AN7 motherboard.
AN7

And i have a athlon Xp 2600

The Specs
Model: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 1.9GHz
FSB: 333MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
Wattage: 55W
Voltage: 1.5V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A

This is My cooler SILENT Volcano 9

Ok my motherboard is capable of having a FSB of 400
But my current CPU only uses 266

Now my question is how much of a diffrence would i notice if i got one of these. (Gameing, Encoding, Compiling, Multitasking)

What my mobo can take

AMD Athlon XP 3200+

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton"

Aparently i can support this one too of course not the 3100 though.. hehe

AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0GHz W/ FSB 333

If its worth noeting my ram is. (1 gig 2 sticks.. i need to see if im running these in dual channel.. I dont know if i am.)

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series PC 2700

now with my Ram running at DDR333(PC2700) is this gona make a diffrence if i go with a 400 FSB cpu?

ok. Im just itching to upgrade small but in 3-4 months i will problay building a new system (64 bit if still tempting) and this one will be going to fileserver/second gaming machine.

I just want people opinions. Thanks again.

Rest of specs.

9700 pro
7200 RMP drive hehe

I'm confused. You listed the CPU spec as 333 Barton but say the current CPU is only using 266. Which is it? If it's 266 then a new CPU with 366 or 400 FSB will show noticeable improvement in performance. (Not sure the boost is worth $120 bucks though.)

On the other hand check my signature out.

I'm running a Barton XP2500 FSB 333 with the FSB pushed to 364. I have my 333 RAM overclocked to the same speed so I keep the benefit of synchronous operation between RAM and FSB. This tweak gave me a noticeable speed boost and has been running stable for almost a year. Best of all it was free.

Use the Nvidia System Utility (free at nvidia.com) to play with the speeds. If you over do it the value returns to default at reboot. Run some burn in Sandra for 15 minutes and watch the temp's at the new speed. IF stable and cool enough you can set the bios to the new values.

sorry Its running at 333 just got the wrong specs last time.

Im just itching to upgrade. The CPU is getting a little slow for me when im encoding stuff and i know when im playing some games its limiting me too...

maybe i should just buy a new mobo and CPU.. then take the old mobo and cpu stick 512 pc2100 ram and a geforce 2 in it i have laying around.... hmm.. too many damn choices...
looking at the new (12-1 2004) new bios
I think i have something to gain from updating the bios. As well. Im all about overclocking but every time i even mess with my RAM timings i have to clear CMOS to get back in. hehe.

get some 3200 ram and you can easily overclock you processor higher than a 3200+. 2700 Ram will not work if you want to overclock it to 3200+

Eww yeah, what slayer said. Then you can use the new RAM in your new system latter this year. It'll be a pre-upgrade, upgrade...

NEWEGG has a Corsair dual pack of 2x512, 3200 on a one day special. Good for a couple more hours. $91 and free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-145-440&DEPA=0

As for the locking up thing. Use the Nvidia tool, it lets you adjust RAM timing and FSB/RAM speed. If you go too far the reboot removes the software settings so no cmos reset required. Actually you might try setting the RAM timings to slower. Then push the clock. Overall effect is still better performance.

you cant oc a barton all that well.

Your best bet isto get an msi k8n neo2 platinum and an athlon64 3500+ winchester

Interesting, I have a Thoughroubred - B core 2400+ and I overclock it to 2.2 ghz (3200 speeds) with out a problem. I have generic PC2100 Memory too.

Aprox I hate you. Best I can get out of my 2500 Barton is 2.1 gig.

most I got out my barton 2600 was 2.1ghz anything beyond that and it plain refused to boot.

What was more fun was poking random values at the nforce2 nothbridge and seeing what it did to windows :)

hmm i think i wil just wait.. i hate having extra money... makes me want to spend it..

I hate to see you with any extra cash too. You might waste it on soemthing frivolous like medical, clothing or shelter.

So buy the PC3200 RAM now for the new rig and use it to upgrade this one for while. Unless you were planning on DDR2...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back