Do not smoke while handling ammunition.

RazerBack

The First Rebirth
Not sure where to post this. As tragic as this news story is about, I just find it really funny. Man do I feel bad for the people and especially the soldiers.Source

Smoking Soldiers Ignited Ammo Disaster

Thu May 13, 8:57 AM ET

KIEV (Reuters) - Two smoking soldiers set off tons of ammunition that killed five people, caused $725 million in damage and sent debris showering across southern Ukraine last week, the emergencies minister said on Tuesday.

A series of blasts hurled debris as far as 25 miles after fire broke out last Thursday at a warehouse complex where 92,000 tons of artillery ammunition was stored.

Blasts were still heard on Tuesday, emergencies minister Hryhory Reva told parliament.

"At about 12 o'clock on Thursday, two servicemen, who were stocking military ammunition, began smoking at their working site. It caused the fire and set off the explosions," he said.

The blasts caused some $725 million in damage to the defense ministry and population in the Zaporizhya region, he said. They destroyed buildings in a two-mile radius, including a local railway station.

A minor gas pipeline was also damaged. Metal fragments and other debris were thrown 40 km, causing fires in nearby towns.

Authorities evacuated some 7,000 people from the surrounding area. People started to return home on Tuesday, five days after the initial blasts.

Some parliamentary deputies have demanded Defense Minister Evhen Marchuk resign because of his inability to turn around the ex-Soviet state's struggling armed forces.

The Ukrainian army has seen its reputation battered in recent years following a series of disasters.

Lucky I dont smoke then isnt it!
I bet the club would be pleased if I blew up the place :eek:

my friend's boy friend lost a friend from that... that's not the first time... :( R.I.P.

he almost died from it.. cuz his friend called him in.. but he was busy doing other stuff

Whow!! That sounds bad.... 25 miles.... 7,000 people evacuated....

Very tragic. You really appriciate how nasty that must have been if you've ever been around any Artillery pieces when they were fired. Just ONE 155mm round being fired is enough to make most people soil their undies the first time they hear it, but HUNDREDS of rounds exploding!!!

Come on, how dumb can you get? They shouldn't have been smoking in the first place. Taking the lives of innocent people just because they smoked. Sad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back