Do manufacturer batteries last longer than OEM batteries

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
I got an HTC fuze, and I didn't feel like spending 65 dollars to pick up a battery from AT&T (or even 30 dollars to grab it online). So I picked up a non HTC battery that was pretty cheap, and I was wondering if this battery holds less of a charge than the HTC battery, they say they are both the same mAh.

I talked to a friend who has the fuze and he says he gets a couple of days on his real battery, but he also doesn't use the internet (which I do), so I was wondering if im getting my less-than-one-day battery life because of my usage amounts. I know on the HTC tytn that that was the case.

Thanks,
Jack

Yes and NO. Generally manufacturers contract with better battery suppliers for a better quality battery. The chemicals are purer, the metal parts are machined more accurately and the assembly is more consistent. BUT, the supplier can start slipping out sourced batteries in with the good ones unbeknownst to the manufacturer. Also suppliers can fall behind the latest tech if they continue to sell the "standardized product" to the manufacturer.

On the other hand if the off brand batteries are from a brand new, state of the art battery factory they could actually be better. No way to tell except to buy and try. Or get recommendations from others. Hit the user review section on any site that sells off brand and see what they say about charge life, self discharge, shelf life, etc.

In your case, net access (wireless) sucks power like crazy. You would have to do a standardized test. Perform the same functions (high demand tasks like wireless reduce battery efficiency causing significantly faster reduction in charge), in the same place (hot/cold outdoor weather kill battery life) on both sets of batteries.

You can see a 2 to 1 reduction in charge life just by how a battery is used.

How deeply a battery is discharged before recharge can also significantly degrade Li batteries. Keep them above 50% before recharge. That is less critical with the latest, high capacity, slow self discharge NiMH batteries.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back