Do i HAVE to activate windowsXP?

J

J0sh

Despite the title of this thread, its nothing about warez or not paying for windows, or anything, so please don't lock it right off the bat.

I got a new Toshiba laptop a few weeks ago pre-installed with Windows XP Home, and I was reading the guide that came with it about XP, and it said I had to activate XP within 30 days of installing it. I tried to activate it, but can't find it. M$'s site said it was in accessories -> system tools, and its not there. So, does this mean that I don't have to activate it, or that it's hidden somewhere else?

Thanks for all your help!

"some" of these pre-installed puters have already been activated for customers.

Not always the case

:cool:

Originally posted by Iceman38
"some" of these pre-installed puters have already been activated for customers.

Not always the case

Is there anyway to check? I thought I read somewhere about a run command that will do the same thing as hitting activate... but I couldn't find it. is there anyway to check?

If it helps, the first time I turned it on I had to go through the same setup as when I had to reinstall XPPro on my old machine.

oobe/msoobe /a

but if the activation icon is missing from the system tray, it's already activated.

oobe/msoobe /a

but if the activation icon is missing from the system tray, it's already activated.

Beautiful! Thanks a ton Iceman!

eh I Don't think you have to activate winxp... I am just responding to your initial Q...

windows wants you to register yes... but if it says register now or later you can just click later and you should NOT get any new pop-up messages to register...

took my lazy behind a whole 2 months before I up and decided to register :) I just clikced register later and there I was... no mean messages from microsoft... no pop-ups no nothing (Yes I know thats bad english)

but if you can... register so as to make sure bill gets his money legit.. :)

sazar99

he's talking about activation, not registration, two totally different things.

You must activate windows XP

Registration is voluntary

sazar99

he's talking about activation, not registration, two totally different things.

You must activate windows XP

Registration is voluntary

How do I register, and are there any benefits (sorry, this is my first legal copy of windows in several years :rolleyes: )

;)

I knew you did, but didn't want him to think he had to do the registration thingie.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back