Do I Have Enough For A WiFi Network?

MathDocPhil

OSNN One Post Wonder
I'm a networking newbie without enough smarts (yet?) to ask the right detailed question about Subnets, etc.. But I hope a patient expert will answer my general question on whether my current setup is adequate for what I'd like to do. I have a Dell 8200 desktop running XP Pro, an SBC DSL modem and a Dell 2300 wireless router (Ethernet wired to the desktops NIC card). I also have a Dell 1100 laptop (XP Home) with a wi-fi card and the shared Internet connection is fine.

I want to create a wireless network that at least supports file & folder sharing between them. Will I need some additional hardware like a hub or is the router enough. I have made several failed tries with the XP network wizard; I made some folders on the desktop shared; and I set up some parms in the right direction: have a common workgroup name on both machines.

Thanks in advance for any general advice.

yes you have all you need to make the laptop wireless..

Your probably not connecting with your laptop because you need to connect to your router with the main computer and access the admin features of the router.. In here you will look for "Wireless" or "WEP" Turn this feature on and reboot the router.

to share files run the network wizard on both computers and make sure they are on the same workgroup.

The router wireless security and the laptop wifi card must both be set to the same security level. Just to get started set them for no security. Then once the netwiork is up and running (the laptop will tell you it is connected) you can put the level of transfer encryption in you want. The wizard will walk youi through the security process.

And here's the MS Help page for setting the workgroup:

To join a workgroup
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open System in Control Panel.
On the Computer Name tab, click Change.
Under Member of, click Workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that you want to join, and then click OK.
If your computer was a member of a domain before you joined the workgroup, it will be disjoined from the domain and your computer account will be disabled.

Notes

To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
A workgroup name must not be the same as the computer name. A workgroup name can have as many as 15 characters, but it cannot contain any of the following: ; : " < > * + = \ | ? ,
If your computer is a member of a workgroup, no networking is installed, or TCP/IP is not installed, then the computer name cannot be more than 15 characters, and the characters must all be uppercase.

and since no one has said it (although they are doing it by helping you) I will just step in to say WELCOME to OSNN! :D You'll enjoy your stay and the advice you have been given should be enough to enjoy your wifi too! Have fun and do not hesitate to post back if you have teething troubles

Thw Wireless security WEP can be configured at a later stage. First you check whether all the IP addresses are pingable to each other, then form a workgroup and check all the PCs shared names are seen or not. Upto this is done, then you should be able to share Files & Folders without any problem.

Later you can enable WEP for better Wireless communication security.

Any more help, reply back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back