do any of the geeks here work out? i got some questions

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
just woundering if anyone here works out and what they do and so on. becuase of the winter now im wanting to go to the gym more becuase i cant bike or row. so anyone got any hints??? on good ideas and all that to keep fit????

One word: Running. I spent 6 months at the gym doing all sorts of things like rowing machine, bikes, weights etc and noticed a slight increase in fitness after a month and then it plateaued (sp?). I then decided to replace a few of the less exerting excercises like hand-rowers with running, for about 15-25 mins at a time, and within a couple of months I noticed a massive increase in my fitness despite spending the same amount of time in the gym as I did before.
All excercise you do is good, 'nothing is wasted' as they say at my gym, but some excercises are more beneficial than others. I hated running at first but now it's my favourite, and I found it to be the most effective.

I do aikido... It's an amazing work out, and I'm learning how to inflict a lot of pain on anyone who tries to hurt me.

I go to the gym. I do mostly cardio on the treadmill. I do some weights but I don't know much about doing it right. As the trainers in your gym if they have them available. Some gyms also offer private lessons and workout plans.

a work out plan sounds to be the best idea but i am just querious what is out there before i go ask him. i dont want to seem like a total idiot to it. the running seems good. it would be fun also, well it was in the days of school.

if anyone else knows any other good excerzies that work, please share.

Try playing a sport.

I can't really stand running on a treadmill or going to the gym because I don't enjoy it and it is too boring.

Play a sport that involves a lot of cardio and alternatives to weight training. For example, when I used to play Rugby during practice we would do a few laps around the field, then 50 pushups, and further drills.

I lost almost 40 pounds in two months :D

And I tried to lose some of that before in the gym and failed pretty miserably.

Although now that I re-read your post I realize you won't be able to play an outdoor sport :p

Umm, indoor soccer? Basketball? Racket sports have a lot of good cardio. I think you can even play indoor Football.

I have been Muay Thai (Naresuan) style kickboxing for about 12 years now, My current routine consists of a full cardiovascular workout. which includes, Running, Yoga, and strength training.

Monday,wednesdays, saturdays - 2 miles of running, Heavy Bag,

tuesdays, fridays - weights

Sunday - rest.

every other weekend I practice with in ring training.

cardiovascular is the best way to keep in shape, running and even walking is a super way to lose weight.as well as eating correctly. try to stay away from carbs, protein is your friend, (Supplements are for suckers) if you need to take vitamans, to help with your workout, a regular over the counter, multi-vitaman is all you need. Always start at a pace that is good for you , never push yourself, because you can hurt yourself pretty bad.

Last edited:
I am currently working my upper body strenght at school with my friend. Not much of a runner. but pretty strong when one looks underneath all the fat I carry around :p

I will be back asking for tips soon as well, I need to lose at least 70 Kg's by April next year (4 months, starting January)

joyojoy said:
I do aikido... It's an amazing work out, and I'm learning how to inflict a lot of pain on anyone who tries to hurt me.

I used to do aikido. I gave up on it, as after a while it got a drag for my parents to drive me to it, and pick me back up, also, the sensei I had was not someone I had much respect for, so rather than try to stay on, I left.

Cardio is the best and pretty much the only way to lose weight. As I mentioned, find some form of cardio that you find fun because then exercise won't be a chore.

Diet is incredibily important.

Eat a little, five or six times throughout the day, instead of one or two large meals. That way your metabolism stays high and you won't feel the pangs of hunger. Most importantly eat a balanced diet. Don't just focus on carbs, or just on protein. Sweets should be had sparingly.

Basically, it's all easier said then done. :D You are going to have to be really strict with yourself, and you have to persist and do this continously.

Losing 70kg seems like a bit too much for pulling off in 4 months. It would be great if you could do even half of that. Weight lose should be done in moderation.

Good luck ;)

Oh and I have a question of my own.

I want to lose some weight, and then bring it back with some muscle.

I've read it is easier to either lose all the fat first and then build the muscle, or vice versa. Because it's supposed to be hard to do both at the same time.

Would you guys agree with that?

I want to get back in shape so I can start playing Rugby again next year :D I'm looking at doing it slowly...over a 9-12 month period.

Grandmaster said:
Oh and I have a question of my own.

I want to lose some weight, and then bring it back with some muscle.

I've read it is easier to either lose all the fat first and then build the muscle, or vice versa. Because it's supposed to be hard to do both at the same time.

Would you guys agree with that?

I want to get back in shape so I can start playing Rugby again next year :D I'm looking at doing it slowly...over a 9-12 month period.

Ive so far lost about 10 Kg in actual fat, but replaced it with 15 Kg's of Muscle in about 2 months.

As for my 70 Kg, It is possible, ive done it before, but never really kept up. Being young has it's advantage, that if i stimulate my metabolism it will shoot up like crazy. Doctor can never explain why I might suddenly lose 50 Kg's in 2 months. And gain it back in 4.

X-Istence said:
Ive so far lost about 10 Kg in actual fat, but replaced it with 15 Kg's of Muscle in about 2 months.

As for my 70 Kg, It is possible, ive done it before, but never really kept up. Being young has it's advantage, that if i stimulate my metabolism it will shoot up like crazy. Doctor can never explain why I might suddenly lose 50 Kg's in 2 months. And gain it back in 4.

How did you distinguish between the fat lost and muscle gained?

Also, losing 70kg in 4 months is pretty insane. :p Most I've done is 20kg in 2 months.

Grandmaster said:
How did you distinguish between the fat lost and muscle gained?

Also, losing 70kg in 4 months is pretty insane. :p Most I've done is 20kg in 2 months.

I don't know how the doctor did it. It had something to do with my body mass index or something. Also, I bulked up in the places where instead of it kind of sagging down, it was now just firm skin. You know what I mean? :ermm:

X-Istence said:
I don't know how the doctor did it. It had something to do with my body mass index or something. Also, I bulked up in the places where instead of it kind of sagging down, it was now just firm skin. You know what I mean? :ermm:

Yeah. Sagging it down wouldn't look that good, so I guess that was a good thing :p

Well I guess that's a problem for me then. I don't want to have to see the doctor just to measure for me.

i am going to try starting to work out again when i get back to saudi, i need to lose my belly! and i would not want to pay for a gym in canada as i wouldnt have to much spare time and would be lazy = waste of money, in saudi its free cuz its part of the compound and that would be my motovation haha, but yeah i need to do that good thing you brought up the subject

the one thing I seem to do a lot of is cardio, I swim a lot and row and I bike.

in the next little while I want to build up the upper body strength. And so its more noticeable. I am going to be doing weights and then in the morning I am going to start a routine before work. Of pushups and crunches. This should also make more awake at work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is a good over all work out for the upper body?

canadian_divx said:
just woundering if anyone here works out and what they do and so on. becuase of the winter now im wanting to go to the gym more becuase i cant bike or row. so anyone got any hints??? on good ideas and all that to keep fit????

I walk everywhere - with some tunes jammin in my ears. Keeps me trim, happy.

Sex is good too. :eek:

upper body - chin ups, and/or anything using your body weight against yerself.

LOL

im a geek. there is very little of that one there.

using the body weight agenst my self for strength is ok. but it is not hard. i can lift my weight easily for a long time but just because its easy will that still do something?

If you are going to do some weight training why not do some benchpresses?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back