Do all Laptop DVD Drives read DVD-R Disks?

S

Squibbles

I am really interested in the Pioneer A04 DVD Burner. I want to burn things on my desktop and transfer them to my laptop.

I want to be sure that my laptop can read the DVD-R disks.

So, are all DVD-Rom drives suppose to be able to read DVD-R Disks?

I'll post what type of Drive I have when I get home.

Thanks!

Don't know if this will help, but...

DVD-R/RW / DVD+RW/+R / DVD-RAM
There are 3 competing DVD writeable standards: DVD-RAM, DVD-R/RW and DVD+RW/+R. DVD-R drives (aka "SuperDrives") are shipping now in Apple Macintoshes, but Apple used used to ship DVD-RAM drives. Now, Sony, Philips, HP and Dell are backing DVD+RW. The DVD-R drive is somewhat more compatible with consumer DVD players, but DVD+RW drives have a larger group of companies backing them. If you own a DVD player and want to make DVDs of home movies to play in that player, you will need to research and find out whether DVDs produced by your DVD+RW or DVD-R drive will play in that player. It's annoying, but that's the way it is. To make it much easier, check DVDR Help site for a really handy compatibility table. Currently, DVD+RW/+R drives only cost an extra $150 so they may be a viable option for you.

Someday, we may have a DVD+RW/+R/-RW/-R/-RAM/CD-RW drive. Until then, you have to make your choice and live with it. You can always upgrade later and add another drive. Also, keep in mind that all of these combo drives read CD's, DVD's and write CD-R/RW media with no problem. The only tricky part is which type of DVD-writable media they will work with. Again, compare your DVD player with the chart at DVDR Help and see what it supports if you ever plan to make and/or edit movies on your computer and play them on your DVD player. Also, keep in mind that DVD+RW/+R drives use DVD+RW or DVD+R media and DVD-RW/-R drives use DVD-R or DVD-RW media. Thank the industry for creating this horrible mess.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back