DNS problem

M

max

My dad has win2K server running Active directory etc

I can get XP to join the domain .. all works fine , i can ping say google.com but can not get the page to appear in IE , it says DNS error

What do i have to configure on the 2K box to provide DNS to the XP machine ?

Is the Win2K box also running Internet Connection Sharing?

JJB6486

Your dad's PC must have IP Routing enabled. It's an option in RRAS, and there's a reg key you can use to enable it as well, if you need that.
/L.A
:edit: oh, and is your DNS server set to your Dad's machine? There may be configuration errors there. If you weren't running AD, I would say switch your DNS servers to your ISPs, but that really degrades the performance and features of AD if you do that.

If he can ping by name, then I would say that he has proper name resolution and the ability to pass info out of his LAN. Check Internet Explorer on the client to see if there are any proxy settings or some such. If there are, make note of them and then remove them and try getting out again. If you can resolve a name and ping it, then you shouldn't need to use a separate proxy config for your browser.

Yes we are using ICS

Thanks for the help ..... I had to use DHCP on the XP box to get webpages :(

Yet like i said i can ping outside the LAN :(

CLutch , thanks i checked the proxy settings and all seemed correct ....

DNS must be messed up on the 2K machine or something

cheers guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back