DMB (Stand Up) Album

Xie

- geek -
I was just wondering how many Dave Matthews fans we have around here? I got the new CD (via iTunes) the other day and I'm really liking it. I was just wondering what other fans think? :)

I'm a big fan myself and bought the album on Tuesday. I haven't had time yet to listen through it consistently, though. I've probably heard the whole album through once and my impression so far is that it's a very different album for them. It's a bit like Everyday in that the songs are held to a typical length (around 5 minutes) and many are very straightforward in structure... this is a result of the producer they worked with for Stand Up, who has produced some very mainstream albums.

So there isn't much "DMB jam" on the album, which has always worked well for long-time fans, but being a long-time fan myself I still enjoyed some of the songs the first time I heard them. Others I would listen to and think "hmm, interesting." :) I definitely need some more time to listen to it and get a feel for the album as a whole. I can say that I loved Dreamgirl from the first minute I listened to it, and I was hoping at the time the rest of the album would fit with its style. That's not the case but that doesn't mean it's not good... it'll just have to grow on me a bit. :)

I think "You Might Die Trying" is my fav so far. As far as the "DMB jam" part, none of their studio albums have really had this. I'm sure alot of these songs live will be made very jammy though. Just look back @ songs like jimmy thing (from "Under The Table And Dreaming") turned from a good 5:57 song into a 30+min jam live. ;)

*edit* - I do agree it is different also - the video you get w/ the album via iTunes goes over this with the band :D

Don't forget Kit Kat Jam. ;)

The album tracks are obviously more structured than the way they are played live, but there is still a jam element to a lot of the recorded songs. Tripping Billies, Rapunzel (and the jams between songs on BTCS), Two Step, #41, Warehouse... these are a some examples of songs that already had the element in the recording, which made it easy to draw out in concert. The band even had difficulty drawing out the tracks from Everyday when they played them live. They just weren't written in the same way as those that were easy to jam to.

muzikool said:
Don't forget Kit Kat Jam. ;)

The album tracks are obviously more structured than the way they are played live, but there is still a jam element to a lot of the recorded songs. Tripping Billies, Rapunzel (and the jams between songs on BTCS), Two Step, #41, Warehouse... these are a some examples of songs that already had the element in the recording, which made it easy to draw out in concert. The band even had difficulty drawing out the tracks from Everyday when they played them live. They just weren't written in the same way as those that were easy to jam to.
True. Dave does have some skill when it comes to filling in w/ improv that really shines w/ songs that were not made "jam friendly". :)

Anyhoo I can't wait to hear some of the new ones live. :D

Xie said:
Anyhoo I can't wait to hear some of the new ones live. :D

DMB's Texas shows are during my honeymoon, so I won't get to catch them this time around. :(

My brother ordered the package from DMB's web site, which included the live discs that aren't sold in stores. I'm looking forward to hearing some of that, too.

yay i love DMB ~ hell yeah!!!! stay beautiful baby, stay american baby!!! i love stand up, eveyone run to the stores and go get it now!! whooooooo :)

I just got it yesterday and have been listening to it in the car. I am liking it so far. i will rip it down tonight and listen to it on the home system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back