Displaying video on secondary display?

Kendrilanthis

OSNN Junior Addict
Hey there, not sure if this belongs here or not but it is graphics card related so....

In any case, I can display video in any video player fine on my primary display but if I drag it into the secondary display all I get is the sound with a black video panel. Was wondering if there is anything I can do to get this to play properly on secondary display.

I am running WinXP Pro with a Radeon 9600 Pro video card. Secondary monitor is set up on the DVI port with a dvi to vga adapter.

-K

Do you have DirectX 9 installed? What program are you using?

In video control panel (advanced>display) you have to deal with the 2 little buttons for each display (see attached pic)

Attachments

• ATI_display.jpg
    ATI_display.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 119
Howling Wolf said:
In video control panel (advanced>display) you have to deal with the 2 little buttons for each display (see attached pic)

That isn't it man, I am able to display just fine on both monitors. It is video files and movies SPECIFICALLY that will not display. They only display a black box, nothing else when put on secondary display but work fine on primary.

And I am using Dx 9.0b with all windows updates and drivers all fully updated.

Unwonted said:
Do you have DirectX 9 installed? What program are you using?

I've used several. WMP, AverTV, Intervideo WinDVD, Intervideo WinDVR, Realplayer, Quicktime, Etc etc etc

do you want to display the video on ur secondary display only or bth?
i used to have that problem with my nvidia card. if i wanted to watch a movie from pc to tv then i had to set my tv as the primary display, im not sure if ati cards have the same problem. i have never found an alternative method

Kendrilanthis said:
That isn't it man, I am able to display just fine on both monitors. It is video files and movies SPECIFICALLY that will not display. They only display a black box, nothing else when put on secondary display but work fine on primary.

And I am using Dx 9.0b with all windows updates and drivers all fully updated.
No, I think I'm right ! ;)
For my second display (tv), if the right button is selected, I get my player (any one I use) right on my tv, sound is playing right but the player displays a black screen...
Next, if I select the left button (have to reactivate the second display first) for the second display, I do get both sound and video on my tv !
The same way, you can desactivate the video on your pc screen by selecting the right button (left by default).
Do you see what I mean now, or am I still wrong ?

Pretty sure I have tried that but will have to check when I get home (at work atm) and let you know how it works out.

u could try going into the advanced panel, and select the overlay tab.
click clone mode options, and select "same on all"
then apply
if u want the video to display full screen on ur secondary display, u could select "theatre mode" instead of same on all. this was tested on my tv and worked perfectly.

DarkMaster said:
u could try going into the advanced panel, and select the overlay tab.
click clone mode options, and select "same on all"
then apply
if u want the video to display full screen on ur secondary display, u could select "theatre mode" instead of same on all. this was tested on my tv and worked perfectly.
Where are the options you're talking about ?...

display properties and under the "settings" tab then advanced

[EDIT]
i think u have to select ur primary display

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back