Diskeeper 10 reports insanely large "System reserved space"...

thomasjohnsen

OSNN Newbie
Just installed and ran Diskeeer 10, and I was surprised to see what the disk analysis showed...

As far as I can understand, my E: drive has way too much "system reserved space" (marked white with green lines)... It's just not in proportion to the drive size...

C drive (Windows installation, primary partition, physical disk 1): All seems well...
c.jpeg

D drive (Secondary partition, physical disk 1): Seems to be correct, the disk is 250 gig.
d.jpeg

And here is E drive, single partition, physical disk 2:
e.jpeg

To me it seems the reserved space on E: is way too big, considering the drive size, and the fact that no Windows installation resides here...

Is this wasted space, or does it seem correct?

Please help...

do you have a paging file on E? aslo, have you manually reduced the reserved space for system restore and the recycle bin on each?

There is currently no paging file on that disk, and no system restore either...

But can it be from a different installation of Windows where there were both, and it still is reserved?

Tried to change setting, add/remove paging file and system restore, and cleaned up restore pints, but that didn't fix it...

Do you guys agree that it is a bit much reserved on the drive?

that's usually an oem installed image for recovery, but it would be on c, not e

what's the machine and how was it partitioned

Built it myself, no funky HP or Dell recovery crap. Disk is clean.
Single partition, partitioned and formatted with Partition Magic. No hidden stuff.

I'm stumpEd

were a bunch of files deleted?

might be what remains of the master file table of a drive that was nearly full but is now empty

how long ago was it partitioned?

the mft is never deleted, the table just grows until there is no room, then it overwrites itself, so if it's an old paritition with files constantly being deleted, that would make sense

Hm. Anything I can do, exept move data to another drive and reformat? Would take ages...

if it's the master file table zone, it's not wasted space, it's a semi container file, almost as usefull as a logiical partition, to help keep the mft contiguous a zone is created, nothing else will get written to the zone and future mft won't fragment. the zone will grow as mft expands

there's a usage algorithm when hardrive area becomes scarce

if the drive gets to the point where it needs the area the OS will write to it

Just out of curiosity how big is your drive e:, if it is smallish the reserved space can look huge, even if it isn't actually that big (in size rather than propertion of the disk)

Off topic, but on topic.

I was thinking about buying the new Diskeeper. I've read good things about it. Any recommendations (perris??)?

Also, I've read that a paging file is not necessary when you have 1GB or more of RAM (I currently have 2GB). I might have read that on here.

you always need a pf, if you're not putting your 2 gigs under pressure, then you don't need two gigs...you therefore won't notice or see a hit by not having a pf since you isntalled more memory then you will use, but there won't be any gain, having a pf does not encourage paging

and you will take a hit if you ever do use the memory you installed...that's what you got it for

I prefer perfectdisk to diskeeper

Last edited:
If I have 2GB of RAM installed, what size paging file would you recommend?

dafualt will set it to 2 gigs, leave it at that unless you need the space, if you need the space, set the initial minimum to double the pf useage during a heavy workload...use perfmon to get the reading, set the max to 4 gigs

if you can, take it off of the operating system hardrive and put it on another one, you're never gonna hit it and you don't want the pro active writes that happen to interfere with your work

Last edited:
I have a 320GB RAID 0 setup. Split up into three different partitions (System, Documents, Data). So you are suggesting move it to D or E?

I have my PF set to 3072/4096.

no

if it's a single hardrive leave it on c

if you have a second drive put it on that

Thanks for the information.

perris, the resident expert on pageing files :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back