Disk Boot Failure

H

Huang618

can some help me figure out how to fix my problem?
when i bootup i received an error message saying "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" then it'll boot from cd-rom into windows, i tried to fix it by clearing the cmos via jumper, and copied the ntldr and ntdetect from the xp cd into my C: and it still didn't work, PLEASE HELP!!! thanks

I notice you have the Abit KG7-Raid. Is your hard drive hooked up to the raid, and is it set to boot to the raid controller in your bios?

no i am not using the raid function, my hd is connect to IDE1 and cd/cdr to IDE2

Originally posted by Huang618
no i am not using the raid function, my hd is connect to IDE1 and cd/cdr to IDE2
Is your bios post picking up the drive correctly, and is your bios set to boot to the 'hdd0' (I think that's the bios name)?

yes my bios is detecting everything fine, and my first boot device is set to HDD0. i didn't mess with my bios at all, and i didn't mess with any software on my comp, i was switching the HD from one bay to another, and when i booted again, the error popped up. i put everything back to it's original positions and its still not fixed, i am SO FRUSTRATED. thanks for your posts dude

Check the IDE connector on the mother board where the ribbon cable goes into it ( but this is only if you unpluged it when you were switching bays). I put together an AMD K6 II system about 4 months back and I bent one of the little pins, Broke it when I tried to straighten. Had to desolder an older board and solder pin into the broken pin board. That was not fun.

Ok, if it never works when you boot up, it could be that you damaged the drive somehow when you moved it by exposing it to magnetism etc. If this is the case, use a win98 boot disk, run chkdsk. exe and scandisk.exe from the disk, if there are errors,try telling it to fix them. Then try to boot, if that doesn't work, re-format and re-install.

My moneys on the cable, maybe you pulled on it a little hard when you moved the drive. Try a new one :)

Bytes back=easy way out lazy slacker

gj bytes...sounds pretty good...i woulda bought a new HDD before I tought of that.

Re-reading your original post. You may have hosed your drive's ability to boot by manually copying the ntdlr file over to it. I think it has to be placed in just the right spot and to do that you need to use something like the 'fixboot' command from the recovery console. Here's an article on how to use the recovery console and a listing of the commands:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307654#3

Lonman, you could well be right, I had terrible trouble with drive image because it would not put the files in the place.

Gold star to that man please :D

thanks a lot you guys, for all your help, i just got home from class, and i am gonna check the cable and see if it's the cable is broken, i'll let you guys know as soon as i find out, thanks again

YEEEHAW, you guys are great, thanks for all your help/suggestions, Gonaads you are my hero, you were right on the money, i swapped the cable with a new one, and the system is back to normal, you've saved me a lot of time and energy, i got my back up HD out and was ready to back up the files and reformat it, thanks to you guys i can use that time to play games, yippie, imagine if i reformated my HD and i still got the same error, i woulda kicked my own ass, but thanks a lot you guys, all of you are my heros, Yeehaw!!!

ooopsies, my bad, i was too happy, got it messed up, sorry bytes you are my saviour, thank you.
and the rest of you guys are my heros, thank you all. you guys rule

YEeeehaw

Originally posted by Huang618
YEEEHAW, you guys are great, thanks for all your help/suggestions, Gonaads you are my hero, you were right on the money, i swapped the cable with a new one, and the system is back to normal, you've saved me a lot of time and energy, i got my back up HD out and was ready to back up the files and reformat it, thanks to you guys i can use that time to play games, yippie, imagine if i reformated my HD and i still got the same error, i woulda kicked my own ass, but thanks a lot you guys, all of you are my heros, Yeehaw!!!
fffffffffffffffff (Inflating ego sound)...
hissssssssssssssssssssss (deflating ego sound)... :p hey, as long as you fixed it and especially since you did it yourself. (with alittle help from your freinds :D) Hey Bytes "bite me". he he he he

Originally posted by gonaads
fffffffffffffffff (Inflating ego sound)...
hissssssssssssssssssssss (deflating ego sound)... :p hey, as long as you fixed it and especially since you did it yourself. (with alittle help from your freinds :D) Hey Bytes "bite me". he he he he

Bite Gonaads !!!! :eek:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back